Is this the correct process for SONY SD Card to External HD?

Hi I just started using my Sony aziii and I have video footage and photos on the Sony sd card. I want to move it over to a La Cie external hard drive and save the important photos and videos on a google drive.

I have been looking everywhere to see if there is some sort of app or button I can push to import the right files but it seems like I need to drag and drop and this is what I came up with.

Can you tell me if this is correct or if I'm doing something wrong or making it more complicated than it should be?

I am using a MacBook.

1. Plug in external HD

2. Put SD card into Mac

3. Drag photos from DCIM folder >100MSDCF folder into a photo folder in external HD

4. Go to PRIVATE > M4ROOT > CLIP folder and drag mp4 and xml files into video folder in external HD

I don't know what to do about the THBNL folder and I am not sure if I need to drag in the xml files with the mp4 videos. Can you tell me if either of these are needed to be dragged in also and what the xml files are for?

Also I see there is a mediapro.xml folder within the video folders. Do I need to drag this over also?

Thank you . Sorry. I'm a newb trying to learn.

**Would it be better for me to just copy the DCIM and the Private folder over to an external folder for the day or is that unnecessary?

Explanation of xml or sidecar files is here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidecar_file

They are small enough that you should probably copy them over in case some video editing software needs them later.

I’m guessing that the THBNL files are thumbnail images of your photos, not sure what to do with them. I usually import photos using CaptureOne and I don’t shoot video so can’t provide any more details on that.

8 hours ago, LiveShots said:

Explanation of xml or sidecar files is here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidecar_file

They are small enough that you should probably copy them over in case some video editing software needs them later.

I’m guessing that the THBNL files are thumbnail images of your photos, not sure what to do with them. I usually import photos using CaptureOne and I don’t shoot video so can’t provide any more details on that.

Thanks LiveShots! I'm sending good karma your way. I really really appreciate this answer. You have no idea how lost I am. Hopefully learning how to use the aziii gets easier and I learn before it becomes an obsolete camera. I hear the Eos r5 is going to give the Sony a run for its money.

• 2 years later...