Power supply for dummy battery

I bought cheap dummy battery from ebay. It did not come with power supply. I tried it with phone charger. It booted, but it crashed when I tried to take picture.

My phones charger is 5V 2V.

I found power supply for my external DVD player from my drawer. It is 12V 2,5A. Will it brake my a6000?

Thank you. :)

5 hours ago, JPR_Deadpool said:

Yes.

This answer, while technically probably correct, does not really help the TO, because there is a near infinite amount of chargers that also DON'T fit the task. And we also probably don't want to see an infinite amount of similar questions here. ?

What I would do:

Insert the dummy power supply, then connect the original battery to it and use a multimeter to measure the actual voltage and current draw while in operation. The voltage of any charger you'll use instead must match the one of the original battery, while the charger must be able to deliver the needed current without incurring a drop in voltage.

Thank you guys for your answers. Unfortunetly I don't have multimeter. But I might need to buy one now.

Maby 12v is too much but the camera might not bee that sensitive for voltage. I have seen some youtube video where they measured voltage in original sony brand battery and it varied from over 8v when fully charged to closer to 6v when almost empty. ?

Edited by Newbie_FIN

1 hour ago, Newbie_FIN said:

Maby

To quantify the risk you're about to take:

if you brick the body, that'll set you back by around 400 bucks. A cheap multimeter can be had for around 10 bucks.

Edit:

I googled that for you: the Sony A6000 uses a NP-FW50  battery, rated at 7.2 Volts. Remember, that any auxiliary power supply must match the rated voltage of the original power supply. Personally, I wouldn't go beyond a 10% deviation. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Chrissie