lag between photographs

I have a a7R3. I have noticed some lag between taking photographs. I press the shutter button and the camera takes photograph but, then I have to wait a second or two for the camera to be ready for the next photograph. I have noticed though, after I take the photograph if I gently press the shutter button the camera is immediately ready for another photograph.  I am using a Sony tough memory card 300/299 , read and write speed. Does the camera typically take time between photographs ? I never had this problem with my fuji xt2 but, that camera was obviously not as complex as the Sony a7r3.  Any suggestions or help to improve the speed ?

thanks again-

I use back button focus. I press AF-ON, lock focus and press the shutter button. Then the image continues to load on the memory card for 1-3 seconds. Then the camera is ready to take another picture, unless I half press the shutter button during this process. The camera will then be ready to take another photograph instantly. Is their anyway around this, the camera should reset itself instantly. I don't understand why I need to wait for the image to load with the type of memory card I'm using., Sony tough v90, us3, 300/299.