a6000 flashed with a6300 bios

The a6000 may be low-priced, but is it cheap enough to brick?

Would it be possible to just load a different model's firmware? If it is, then Sony is more stupid than I think. It is pretty basic to check for model number, existing firmware version, etc.

Would it be possible to hack it? Probably. I seem to remember reading that there is a method of changing the firmware model number, iirc, it was in the context of removing the 30-minute video limit (and may have been for a different camera). Would it be wise? Nope. With lots and lots of luck you might end up with menu options that don't do anything. With a little less, you might end up with a camera that doesn't do anything.

I'm not that technical so I have propably mixed the terms a little bit. What I'm trying to say might be firmware flashing.

But for the previous commenter: I have downloaded the custom tweak app and i have enabled the unlimited video. I also installed thermal pads on top of some components on logicboard whit help of youtube videos.

I have grate results whit my mods. I have filmed multiple over hour long videos and I have not had any temperature warnings after my mods.

10 hours ago, Newbie_FIN said:

I'm not that technical so I have propably mixed the terms a little bit. What I'm trying to say might be firmware flashing.

But for the previous commenter: I have downloaded the custom tweak app and i have enabled the unlimited video. I also installed thermal pads on top of some components on logicboard whit help of youtube videos.

I have grate results whit my mods. I have filmed multiple over hour long videos and I have not had any temperature warnings after my mods.

I admire your sense of adventure, and congratulate you on your success! Loading those non-Sony apps that do such stuff could be both interesting and beneficial, and we know that at least some people have already tested them.

To the straight question on loading a different model's firmware, my previous answer stands.  But I take my hat off to those who develop apps and find ways of unlocking features. Even though I'd be shy to risk my camera: I'd have to really, really want the mod. On the other hand, that I can root it is a condition of purchase when it comes to my Android phones --- but I don't spend so much on a phone.

What is the current situation? I understand that Sony had released the API for app development.. but, since the a6500, has dumped the who app concept.