How magnify and focus peak on manual lenses? A7r3

Just bought a “cheap” Opteka 650-1300mm tele to see if it can resolve moon shots better than my current Sony 70-300 G.

The Opteka is a 100% manual lens with fixed aperture (based on zoom status).

Having a good tripod and Manfrotto 410 Junior geared head, I “only” need to peak the best manual focus.

Yet with my A7r3 I’ve not been able to manually enable the focus magnifier and peaking features that I normally use when manual focusing with other Sony GM/G or Samyang lenses.

Any ideas if it is possible to assign a button to switch on the “focus helper”?

Many thanks in advance

It's possible, I have my camera configured that way but it's not an A7Riii so can't guide you through the menu. It's under custom button settings.

Because the lens has no electronic contacts, the camera doesn't know you're trying to focus.

There are two such "focus helpers."

One is the one which magnifies as soon as the focus ring (on an electronically-connected lens) is turned.I think this one is called MF assist.

The other is called focus magnifier, and this is what you can use with a manual lens. This is not operated by the focus ring, not even with an automatic lens: you have to assign it to a button. There are two levels of magnification.

Focus peaking senses contrast in the image. Once turned on, with your camera set to MF or DMF, it just works.