Problem with Sony Alpha 7 after being outside on cold

gmzych

Hi there,

I was skiing all day with camera in my waterproof backpack, sometimes I would take camera to make a picture and than put it back inside. Temperature outside was around -3 C.    Since this time After camera started to work very strange, I could not find focus or picture was all black and says is a night scene.

Is there anything I could do to solve this problem?

Edited by gmzych

• 4 weeks later...

Battery Problem !

Assuming you were doing outdoor photography in the snow or whatever ?

Do not expose the batteries to freezing temperatures !

It kills the power.

Ok have the camera in your back pack, but have the battery, in a bag, round your neck, next to your skin.

When you are ready to take a picture, install the battery, then after taking the pix, remove the battery & put it back in the bag around your neck.

Modern mine detectors, come with extra long battery pack cables, so when you are working, in freezing conditions, the battery is next to your skin & kept warm & functioning !

Im talking about top of the range  Duracells, here, not cheap junk.

Try that, then let us know, how you got on.

Cheers

Edited by Wally The Confused

On 1/6/2020 at 5:37 PM, Thad E Ginathom said:

I would not use cold electronics in warm indoor air, as condensation is very possible, even on the inside.

Cannot say this was  the cause of your problem, it's just a guess. But better to let the camera come to room temperature in its bag before use.

Thad.. He was doing outdoor photography, in freezing conditions. He forgot , or didnt know, to keep the battery warm, to keep it working.

Yes, you are spot on... After a day of photographing the great freezing  outdoors......it takes a while to warm up the whole camera , with the obvious misting & condensation.

Cheers