flare nightphotografy with Tamron 28-75

Jan Mijzen

Last night i went for a walk in Amsterdam , now when i look at the photo's i see that i have a lot of flare, I use a Sony A7 iii with a Tamron 28-75 2.8. anybody knows whats up?

Did i do something wrong or is it the lens? 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 1 month later...

Lens causes this flare. Uncontrolled light that’s reflected from internal lens surfaces or that's scattered by imperfections within the glass.
You couldn’t control the flare that’s why it has produced the dramatic lens flare artifacts which you’ve probably seen. Flare is often controlled in several alternative ways. An easy way is simply to stop non-image light from hitting the front element in the first place. Avoid putting bright lights (the sun, for example) directly within the frame, and stop out-of-frame light from shining onto the lens. this is often what a lens hood does — or, simply shading together with your hand, during a pinch.

Yes, I know,   most people think Lens Hoods, are some sort of  extraeneous  techno junk.

Yes... I know...... I hate them too ! .........However, in certain situations........They are neccessary.

However....

In this photo, a lens hood, would make no difference !

The stars from the street lights, are in the center of your photo, not some flare, on an outer edge.

They occur, due to the placement of all the lens groups, inside your lens barrel.

I do not think, that they detract from the image, but that is just my opinion.

To try & avoid this again, you will have to move around & take the photo from different angles, or use a different lens.

Good Luck

WTC

Edited by Wally The Confused
mis read the post