Best budget lenses for video

Newbie_FIN

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey

This is my first post. Just bought my first digi camera less than week ago (Sony a6000 with SELP1650 for 190€).

I did try to search but I did not find what I was looking for. If there is already topic about this feel free to link it here and I will delete this thread.

So I study communications and me and my friend have a plan of shooting a "0budget" interview/documentary about drugusers life on street.

Here in Finland is so dark during these winter months that I need lense that has good F-value. The current lense has f3.5 when not zoomed.

What is the cheapest zoom lense that you guys would recommend for my purposes? And how about some cheap wide angle prime lenses for this type of videography?

Thank you,

FinnishNoob

There is no cheap zoom lens with a large aperture, especially if you want a stabilized (OSS) lens. There is the Sony 18-105 F/4 OSS powerzoom (generally considered a decent video lens) but that one is already around €500 and not any faster than what you have now. You'd best resort to prime lenses.

Are you using a gimbal? If not then you'd likely want to use a stabilized lens as the a6000 has no stabilized sensor.

Your search is now narrowed down to a fast prime with OSS and autofocus. For street videography, the Sony 35mm F/1.8 comes to mind (the APS-C version, not FE). Costs about €380. For a somewhat tighter field of view you might try the Sony 50mm F/1.8 OSS at €270. Can both be found second-hand for about 60% of the retail price. Try your 16-50 kit lens a bit to see if these focal lengths work for your project.

If you're using a gimbal then the Sigma 30mm F/1.4 DC DN might be interesting at €350, or the Sigma 16mm F/1.4 if you want to go wide.

• 5 weeks later...

I agree with the Sigma 30/16mm 1.4 lenses & the stabilization topic, am still making videos with 16mm 1.4 Sigma, its perfect match for a6000 as it's aps-c sensor struggles badly in low light. I used 16mm 1.4 Sigma with a6300 for a while, the picture is great but absence of stabilization was always an issue.