A9II viewfinder and LCD (monitor) view issue

quigsby

Hi folks, just switched to Sony from Nikon. On my D850 the lcd was used to see the shot just taken and the viewfinder to aim focus and shoot. It seems the two are tied together on the a9ii, and they switch magically when you're eye presses up against the viewfinder, kind of neat. However when doing so there seems to be a lag time as to when I see the single focus point again and can get locked back on my subject, not a huge lag but enough so it seems I lose my subject, especially birds in flight. Can I separate the two so that I only see the taken shot in the monitor and see the subject only in the viewfinder? Cant seem to find the solution in the manual or online. Thanks from a newbie. Mike

I don't own an A9 so don't know for sure if it can be done, but on pretty much all Sony camera's you can't have the viewfinder and monitor active at the same time.

If it is of any help to you: part of the magic of a mirrorless camera is that you don't need to look at the rear screen to review your images: you can just keep your eye against the viewfinder and review your images there. People will look oddly at you while pointing the camera in any random direction for prolonged periods of time while you're reviewing your images, but the viewfinder gives a much clearer view than the rear screen.

Another option, though this might actually work against you in your specific case, is that you can disable the automatic switching between EVF and rear screen and use a custom button to switch manually.

Another thing to consider; with your Nikon you could never see the image that you took as the mirror flips up as the shutter opens, with the a9 and the electronic shutter there is no EVF blackout so you know you have the shot without peeking.
I use a custom button to switch between EVF and monitor, I use the monitor indoors for pre-setting menu options etc. but use the EVF for viewing images as it is always clearer and has no reflections on the screen.

• 1 month later...

I'm with Mike on this one....I too have a Sony A9ii switched from Nikon 850 and Canon 5D Mark IV....I want to look through the viewfinder and take shots....not take a shot and see the image I just took....I don't need this....I want to keep taking shots and my eye on the subject...I can look at the pictures later....much, much later....Thanks, emmerichd

• 3 weeks later...

I had my first A9, replaced within a month or so of purchase, because the switch was defective.

The only way, I could get the  LCD to work,  was ...by pulling it away,   from the back of the camera.

Otherwise, I had to do everything through the viewfinder, which was not easy.

I am not saying  its the same problem, but mebbe worth a try ?

I bought  the A9 through a Jessops branch, and they agreed that  that should not happen in a camera costing over  4 grand.

The replacement A9 turned up, very quickly.  thanks  Jessops, for sorting that out fast & efficiently.

• 5 months later...

I have a shortcut key to switch back and forth between my EVF and LCD, deactivating the auto switch.  My EVF is default and turns on when I put it up to my eye. LCD only turns on when I toggle to it.  I don't know if combining this with auto review will show the review in the EVF as I don't use auto review.