SONY 55mm 1.8 Zeiss FALLS APART!?

Mena_G

I’ve owned this lens for a year and a half and have absolutely loved it until this happened to me out of nowhere. Without dropping the camera or any force whatsoever the lens fell apart from the e-mount connector while the lens was still connected to my A7Riii. If this has happened to anyone I’d love to hear your feedback or what I can do to fix it/ get a replacement from Sony. To me it looks like the glue connecting the lens to the e mount just failed.

Thank you in advance!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Mena_G

9 hours ago, Mena_G said:

To me it looks like the glue connecting the lens to the e mount just failed.

I beg to disagree:

I still own this lens and this is what the properly disconnected lens looks like from the flange outer side. Note the four screws.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The flange is not "glued" to the body of the lens, but is rather screwed to the lens body. Note the four studs, sticking out of the broken lens's flange (your picture). These are the screws, screwed into the corresponding black plastic counterparts of the lens body. The metal flange has not come "unglued". Rather, the black plastic "screw holes" of the lens body have broken off from the lens housing. Obviously, there was some inadequate force applied to the mounted lens, even if you're not aware of when and how it happened.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2019 at 11:20 AM, Chrissie said:

I beg to disagree:

I still own this lens and this is what the properly disconnected lens looks like from the flange outer side. Note the four screws.

The flange is not "glued" to the body of the lens, but is rather screwed to the lens body. Note the four studs, sticking out of the broken lens's flange (your picture). These are the screws, screwed into the corresponding black plastic counterparts of the lens body. The metal flange has not come "unglued". Rather, the black plastic "screw holes" of the lens body have broken off from the lens housing. Obviously, there was some inadequate force applied to the mounted lens, even if you're not aware of when and how it happened.

Thanks for your Reply. Yes after a closer look you are right It isn't glued. No I did not use any force on the lens or drop it ever. It could have been a temperature change which caused this. Its unfortunate that a 1000$ lens can fall apart like this.

• 1 month later...

You could epoxy the plastic pieces back in place rather easily. The ribbon cable is another thing entirely- it looks to be torn in half, no doubt when the lens came off. You would need a replacement and it appears from your image that you would need to re solder it which is rather simple if you know how to solder. Finding just that piece may be problematic however.

A simpler option would be to buy a replacement mount. https://sony.encompass.com/item/10237672/Sony/A-1981-317-A/

You would still need to epoxy the screw-receptor things back in place. I would recommend using successive layers of epoxy, letting the previous layer dry each time. Add enough layers and you can make it stronger than the original.