Strange issue with FE 200-600mm OSS

Jamiemcc

Hi, I purchased the new FE 200-600mm OSS and received it the same week they came into the country and have a strange problem with it. I've been having an on running conversation with Sony support over the last couple of months and they came back to say they reckon it's a phenomenon when attaching a UV filter to the lens. The problem is out of focus areas have cross hatching (see pics). Has anybody else seen this? I'll do some tests to see if their diagnosis is true. J 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Jamiemcc

Got another email form Sony and it is the UV filter causing light interference. They say it's not just restricted to their lenses but all manufacturers lenses. The longer the focal length, the more obvious it becomes and the quality of the filter has no effect. So don't use a UV filter on the 200 - 600mm FE OSS. J

• 2 months later...

I recently purchased a circular polarizing filter for the 200-600mm lens and took it with me to Everglades. Came back with virtually all of the shots taken at 600mm marginally to severely out of focus. I knew something was wrong and initially thought it was a lens focus problem. I googled to find out that others had out of focus problems with filters. Having just returned home from Florida, I removed the CPF and took a couple of photos at 600mm using a UV filter. All of these new photos are sharp as can be. So for me the CPF is a problem but the UV filter is OK. I just wanted to share this information in case others have an unresolved focus problem with this lens.

Edited by Arnie