An introduction and praise for the Sony GP-X1EM grip

hamsong

Hello- I'm new to the forum, but a veteran photographer who started in Seattle but now based in Minneapolis. I've been photographing weddings all over the world since 1999. I started in film, of course, but I gave that up very reluctantly. I've used nearly every camera system and since switching to Sony almost 3 years ago, it's been the first camera system that I like *more* with time. Enough of an introduction...

I don't know if my hands are larger than normal, but I've always found most mirrorless cameras to be too small. I started with the original A7 and the Zeiss 55 f1.8. It was instant love, even though the grip was far too small. I now have an A72 and two A73 bodies. I've tried the Sony battery grips, aftermarket grips, etc. The 3 series no longer needs two batteries because of the long life of the Z batteries, and I wasn't in a hurry to make the camera heavier as I carry three of them to weddings and portraits with prime lenses.

Enter the lowly Sony GP-X1EM. I always thought they looked weird, were overpriced and was worried about getting access to the battery. The short story is that I charge my cameras via micro USB now and the grips stay on.

I found two of them (new, too) on ebay for $89 each. Time to try. LOVED THEM, especially with the 85 f1.8, which feels perfectly balanced now. If you get pinky cramps at the end of a gig, you need this grip. I do wish the grip went all the way across the bottom so the camera was easier to set down, but a minor gripe.

I've been very happy with Sony, love the lenses, and now the grips fixed my only complaint: the ergonomics and lack of space for the pinky. I plan to share more, but wanted to say more about the grips, which don't get much love...

To see more of my work, visit my portfolio of weddings, portraits and landscapes here:

https://www.bradleyhanson.com

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I got one of these shortly after I got my a9, it makes a huge difference. They are hopelessly overpriced for what they are, I think they should have included this grip free with every a7, a9.

When using the heavier Sony lenses, I found the full size grip to help a lot with the balance, especially if I am going to be shooting a lot of vertical shots.

I also find them essential. It would have been nice as a freebie, for sure. Maybe on some level it would be an admission that for some of us, the cameras are actually too *small*. Once you feel the camera with the grip, it just feels right, even if it looks odd. Having it go across the width of the camera (and adding another tripod socket) would be nice, too. Since the 4 series has a larger grip, they'll need a new version for that series...

https://www.bradleyhanson.com

Edited by hamsong
Update