Accurate ways to find the Shutter Count on a Used A7RIII

BatK

I am new to the forum and   recently bought A7RIII. after taking a few photos and put them in the"Raw Digger" I came across these numbers. Please look at the picture. The previous owner claimed less than 10,000 shots.

The line that say shutter has an extremely high number 285552826674   and another line saying 1099 shutter count.

I do not know who to believe.

Anyone has any idea how to accurately check how much the camera was used.

Thanks

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 11/9/2019 at 9:49 AM, BatK said:

I am new to the forum and   recently bought A7RIII. after taking a few photos and put them in the"Raw Digger" I came across these numbers. Please look at the picture. The previous owner claimed less than 10,000 shots.

The line that say shutter has an extremely high number 285552826674   and another line saying 1099 shutter count.

I do not know who to believe.

Anyone has any idea how to accurately check how much the camera was used.

Thanks

When the pro cameras can expect to last half a mil clicks, your body has discovered the secret of eternal youth.

Or the number is wrong.

watch this, then check out the software in the link. Picmeta - there is a section for Sony metadata.

Works fine for raw files. Not sure what the difference is between shutter count, shutter count 2 and shutter count 3.

Edited by pmk

• 10 months later...

Hope you folks don't mind my reviving this thread ...

The video posted by DD noted above also mentions "image count" though no matter what site I use (and there's quite a few!) or what software I try (exiftool, pie, etc etc etc) that tag does not appear, in particular he was pulling data from RAW files in an A6300 which is what I am doing.  Any ideas?

Also wonder what that "Shutter: Mechanical (#### #### ####") actually refers to?

And yup I am so new this I kept reading it as "exit" files ... ?

edit: the video comments list has someone mentioning the "image count" was renamed to "shutter count" ... though still would like to know about that "shutter"' tag information

Edited by jmc

Somewhere I read something that said with e-shutter or first-curtain e-shutter bursts only the first shot was counted. 

I normally use the latter on my A9 and the shutter count given in EXIF is way lower than the shots taken. 

8 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Somewhere I read something that said with e-shutter or first-curtain e-shutter bursts only the first shot was counted. 

I normally use the latter on my A9 and the shutter count given in EXIF is way lower than the shots taken. 

Yeah the count increments differently with front curtain on/off ... it seems to double with the setting off (makes sense I guess)
There is "shutter count" and "shutter count 3" noted under ExifTool (12.06) ... wonder if those cater to the front/back curtains?
Or the 3 numbers in the "Shutter: Mechanical" tag maybe?  Accounting for front curtain on/off and silent modes ... geee wish a Sony informant would show up here.   ?