Can anyone help with printing a 6x4 photo when shot in 3:2

Gcolem

I need some help please.  I'm trying to print out a 6x4 photo, from a RAW file that is shot in 3:2 format.  But when I print, the picture is not full frame.  I suspect it is something to do with printing settings but I have examined and exhausted all my current thinking prowess regarding this problem.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

If I may inject a little systematics in here:

Let's assume, the sensor of your camera is 4000 by 6000 pixels in size, which happens to be the aspect ratio of 2 : 3 of a full frame camera that you are talking about.

If you want those pixels to cover an area of "4 by 6" (again assuming, you're are talking about inches here), then you would want 4000 sensor pixels (or: "dots") to cover 4 inches of print space. Likewise, the 6000 sensor pixels (or: "dots") should cover 6 inches of print space.

This sounds like 1000 dpi (dots per inch) to me.

Nobody around here can do more than guessing about what obscure processing your exporting software or the printer is performing, without you posting a picture of the result, along with the following information:

• sensor dimensions (pixel)
  • export settings (dpi)
  • Printer settings (dpi)

If you're not the analytical but more the experimental type of guy, and the printed image covers less than the intended space, then I'd to either (or both) of the following:

• decrease the export dpi setting
  • decrease the printer dpi setting.

On 11/9/2019 at 6:42 AM, Chrissie said:

If I may inject a little systematics in here:

Let's assume, the sensor of your camera is 4000 by 6000 pixels in size, which happens to be the aspect ratio of 2 : 3 of a full frame camera that you are talking about.

If you want those pixels to cover an area of "4 by 6" (again assuming, you're are talking about inches here), then you would want 4000 sensor pixels (or: "dots") to cover 4 inches of print space. Likewise, the 6000 sensor pixels (or: "dots") should cover 6 inches of print space.

This sounds like 1000 dpi (dots per inch) to me.

Nobody around here can do more than guessing about what obscure processing your exporting software or the printer is performing, without you posting a picture of the result, along with the following information:

• sensor dimensions (pixel)
  • export settings (dpi)
  • Printer settings (dpi)

If you're not the analytical but more the experimental type of guy, and the printed image covers less than the intended space, then I'd to either (or both) of the following:

• decrease the export dpi setting
  • decrease the printer dpi setting.

On 11/9/2019 at 6:42 AM, Chrissie said:

Thank you for your very helpful reply! 

In turn, I can provide what you've asked for -

Sensor Size is 35.8 x 23.9mm and it is a 24.7 megapixel sensor

Export is currently done at 600 px/in (see attached file)

Printer dpi is resolution of 4800 x 600 dpi.

Also attached is a pic of the printer set-up screen and how it currently prints a pic.

Would love to know your thoughts, thanks

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

12 hours ago, Gcolem said:

Sensor Size is 35.8 x 23.9mm and it is a 24.7 megapixel sensor

Export is currently done at 600 px/in (see attached file)

Printer dpi is resolution of 4800 x 600 dpi.

OK, so this does look like a full frame sensor of 6000 by 4000 pixels (more or less).

I should have asked you, what the current size of the printed area is, which I neglected to do. Figuring, that an average thumb, like the one where you're holding the print, is about 18 mm wide, this looks like the printed area is in fact pretty close to 6" by 4" in size. Now I'm a little confused as to what might be the problem after all?

What exactly are you trying to achieve, and in what way is the result different from what you want?

Please be as specific as possible, and do mention the size units (mm, cm, inches, ...).

And , btw, what was your train of thought when you specified the "Printer Paper Size" as 4" by 6" 10x15cm, while specifying the "Custom Paper Size" as 400.0 mm by 600.0 mm?

On a related note, I do have to correct myself on the pixels equals dots claim. Suggested further reading.

2 hours ago, Chrissie said:

OK, so this does look like a full frame sensor of 6000 by 4000 pixels (more or less).

I should have asked you, what the current size of the printed area is, which I neglected to do. Figuring, that an average thumb, like the one where you're holding the print, is about 18 mm wide, this looks like the printed area is in fact pretty close to 6" by 4" in size. Now I'm a little confused as to what might be the problem after all?

What exactly are you trying to achieve, and in what way is the result different from what you want?

Please be as specific as possible, and do mention the size units (mm, cm, inches, ...).

And , btw, what was your train of thought when you specified the "Printer Paper Size" as 4" by 6" 10x15cm, while specifying the "Custom Paper Size" as 400.0 mm by 600.0 mm?

On a related note, I do have to correct myself on the pixels equals dots claim. Suggested further reading.

Hi there, and thanks again.

The current size of the printed area is just under 5"x3.5" - the paper it is printed on is 6"x4" so the picture should be printed right to the edges of that bit of photo paper if it is printed in 6"x4".

I set the custom paper size as 400.0mm by 600.0mm because the sensor is 4000x6000 pixels.

14 hours ago, LiveShots said:

The image is 3:2, that’s a ratio not a size.

Try setting the Page Size to 4x6 (same as Printer Paper Size), in Page Layout select Fit-to-Page

Hi there, thanks for your input.  Sadly, I have tried that and i'm still no nearer to solving this.

10 minutes ago, Gcolem said:

Hi there, and thanks again.

The current size of the printed area is just under 5"x3.5" - the paper it is printed on is 6"x4" so the picture should be printed right to the edges of that bit of photo paper if it is printed in 6"x4".

I set the custom paper size as 400.0mm by 600.0mm because the sensor is 4000x6000 pixels.

Does your printer have an option to print "borderless"? Many printers have print margins and won't print any closer to the edge of the paper than these margins. But some printers also have a "borderless" option that will go outside the margins, but will overprint the edges of the paper in doing so. The ink usually goes into a sponge collector of some sort, but it does waste ink, and is usually not the default print mode.

1 hour ago, dbmiller said:

Does your printer have an option to print "borderless"? Many printers have print margins and won't print any closer to the edge of the paper than these margins. But some printers also have a "borderless" option that will go outside the margins, but will overprint the edges of the paper in doing so. The ink usually goes into a sponge collector of some sort, but it does waste ink, and is usually not the default print mode.

Hi there, i cannot find any option regarding borders within any menu associated with the printer options - and no option on the printer itself, so probably not.

After more research, I have found that I cannot use the canon MG3050 to print borderless - it simply doesn't have those settings.  Aaarrrggggghhhhhh lol

38 minutes ago, Hobie said:

I noticed in your print setup screen, the portrait orientation size is checked.  Your image is in landscape format. 

Also, try changing from your "Scaled Output"  to "Fit to Page"

Hi there, that's in portrait becuase that refers to how the paper is being fed through the printer, not to do with the picture taken :)

Anyway, turns out this was all in vain, my printer is a canon MG3050 and specifically cannot print borderless :(

Thanks again

4 hours ago, Chrissie said:

Hi there, thanks for all your help.  Turns out that I'm not using a machine that is up to the task - the Canon  MG3050 does not support borderless printing :(