Over-exposure with a a7riii

Barrykap

Just wondering if anyone can shed a light on this problem I have.
I have been using a basic a7 camera with a Sony 24-70 lens and occasionally I attached my Canon F2.8 L 70-200 lens to it via a Fotodiox Pro lens mount adapter.  I have had reasonable success with the Canon with this arrangement with good well-exposed shots but of course the auto-focusing was a bit of a pain, which took a while to 'lock-on' but once in focus it did a good job.
A few days ago I bought an a7Riii with the expectation that the focusing with this Canon lens would be much faster. I was right, it focused faster than I could think about it.  BUT..  all shots I took with the Canon lens came out over-exposed. I shoot only in RAW. In the viewfinder while composing they look OK but on playback and in processing they are vastly over-exposed.
Using my Sony 24-70 lens on the Riii they are all perfectly exposed, both pre and after capture, just the Canon/adapter setup produced images that are about 3-4 stops over. I have patiently tried every single exposure setting on the Riii, both auto and manual but nothing will change the results.
As a fix after loading them into Camera Raw I can reduce the exposure by 3-4 stops to get a good photo but this surely should not be necessary.  No clipping of highlights occur.
Can anyone tell me why this is happening? Could it be the adapter, which maybe does not work with the Riii (yet is OK with the a7?) Or is it a camera fault?  Many thanks.