Mikey Leigh

Sony 70-350 APSC zoom lenses on a7 series

Hello,

Has anyone tried the new sony 70-350 APSC on a full-frame a7 series?   For some of the APSC zoom lenses, the image pretty much covers the entire full-frame sensor when fully zoomed.  I would use this lens on my a7r3 at 350 all the time for bird and small wildlife, so bad vignetting at shorter focal lengths is not an issue, and slight vignetting at 350 is also OK.    I hike a lot, and the 100-400 is just too heavy! 

I use this often on my A7R4 no vignetting at all, sharp and fast to focus

I recently started an album on this combination on my flickr account link below

70-350 album

That's quite correct I have it on auto apsc, so if I attach a crop sensor lens it goes into crop mode automatically.

Why would it be set to any other way?

Posted (edited)

It was the very question the original poster was interested in: does the 70-350 cover more than the APS-C sensor size? Your post doesn't answer that question.

Some APS-C lenses do, like the 10-18 f/4: If you put it at around 14 mm it has an image circle which covers a fullframe sensor, so there's no need to use auto-crop and loose a lot of megapixels.

If you want to really help the OP (and others with the same question), grab your A7R4, disable auto APS-C, shoot some photos at 70, 200 and 350 mm and post them here so we can all evaluate them to see how much of a usable fullframe image one can get out of this lens.

Edited by Pieter

Posted (edited)

Thank you, I think I read it incorrectly.

I have messaged the OP with the below update........

I think my answer to your post may have confused the issue.

The 70-350 will vignette in full frame mode, you would have to have it either on auto apsc mode or change it to that in the menu.

It will then have no vignetting and give you approx 105-525 eqv.

You will 'only' have 26 megapixels then but as Mark Galer says that is still more than most APSC cameras

It's a great sharp lens and light to carry.

I hope this corrects my post.

It has been pointed out to me that I didn't answer your question correctly

Edited by Roy

Posted (edited)

@Mikey Leigh I think this link might be of interest to you, look at chapter 2.2:

https://sonyalpha.blog/2019/10/27/sony-e-70-350mm-f4-5-6-3-g-oss/

It covers fullframe at nearly all focal lengths except at 300+ mm. No need to use auto-APS-C mode at all: if you're planning to crop in post-processing you'll be able to keep much more megapixels than just the APS-C area.

@Roy As OP mentioned, he's planning to use it on an A7R3, so will 'only' have 18 MP in auto-crop mode.

Edited by Pieter