Hi to all. Just purchased my first digital ILC. A6400. To be honest I almost took it back. Being from the old-school days of 35mm film, digital cameras, at first, seem overly complicated. Anyway I didn't take it back. First issue. I can't look at RAW files on my computer or the one video I took. I'm assuming the video won't display on my computer because it's a 4K video. I can see JPEGs on my computer. Anyone have a thought on this.  

Welcome to the digital age @Oldphoto ? Don't let the cascade of settings discourage you. There's aperture, shutter speed and ISO, just like in the old days. All the rest of it is just there in case you might one day feel the need to adjust the behaviour of the camera to fit the needs you didn't even know you had.

To view RAW files, you need a RAW-converter such as Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop, Capture One or Darktable. Windows 10 now has built-in RAW support in 'Photos'-app. You'll need the extension support though. Get windows update version May 2019 or later here then get the RAW-support here.

Sad that manuals don't come with these cameras. The Sony manual is available online and can be downloaded as a PDF.

For me, David Busch's books are invaluable. Even going from the a6000 to the a6500, the new book helped me know the differences and the new things. Covers everything, but much less dry than the Sony reference manual.

Apart from that... the numerous videos online. I take the view that if I learn just one new thing from a source, then it was worth the time, or even the money. And, as to spending money, I do remain fond of good, old-fashioned, print-on-paper books.

Thanks for the welcoming replies. Good info Pieter. It's funny...I can look at all the files on my Samsung 4K straight out of the camera. I've used it strictly in manual or aperture priority so far. Only taken one video. Maybe 20 sec.  I'm going to Barber Motorsport Park 9/20 thru 9/23 for the MotoAmerica motorcycle races. Monday is a track day.  GoPro day. LOL

Edited by Oldphoto