Numbering on SD card when moved between cameras

I took an a6000 and an a6500 on a trip.  Moved SD card between the bodies once or twice.  Trying to organize folders of pix from my trip by date.  Seem to have photo/file number gaps!

No pix numbered between DSC03601 and DSC06414.  A gap on one 64gb card is from DSC07074 to DSC07103.  Dates are 7/31 and then 8/2.  

I did not format (erase in camera) any cards on the trip.  I have not lost any cards.   I very rarely delete a few shots while the card is in the camera.  

Does the numbering change when you move a card from one body to another?  The a6500 was a rental body so I don't recall how the numbering was set up in the Settings.  

Can anyone shed any light on this numbering issue?

Thanks.

Many cameras (not just Sony) will increase their number to match the next available on a card if used with one already containing pictures.

If you have a camera that's shooting  images named pic-0025 & use a card with an image named pic-0995 on it the camera will increase to pic-0996, and it doesn't drop it's number back when you change the card back.

I'm not sure if this behavior is followed if the initial part of the filenames differ using a card with IMG-0995 might still be enough to increment the count.

Edited by petrochemist