File size Sony Alpha 7R IV

tomcat

Hello!

Does anybody know, how big the RAW files from the 7R IV will be? (compressed and uncompressed)?

I ordered the SDXC Class10 UHS-II R300 128GB card, but the shop assistant told me, the filesize will be higher than 150MB, so only about 800 shots will find place on it and I should buy another 260$ card.

Is this true?

Thank you a lot

I'm not exactly knowing this, but would derive that 61 Megapixel times 14bit/Pixel (uncompressed raw) results  in at least

61.000.000 [Pixel] * 14 [bits/Pixel] / 8 [bits / Byte] = 106.750.000 Byte = 101.80 MB

An additional ~ 50 MB like the clerk told you would be an awful lot of an overhead. I doubt the 150MB figure.

• 2 weeks later...

if you shoot RAW, Sony does not offer lossless compressed capability.  Therefore, your RAW files are uncompressed and the file size is approximately 120mb per image.  Found a nice article on Google.

https://enthusiastphotoblog.com/sonya7riv-resolution-benefits/

Hope this helps.  I just bought a A7RIII because I could not justify the file size and frankly, did not need the extra resolution.  If and when Sony decides to offer Lossless Compression like Nikon and Canon, I might change my mind because I do like to crop images and maintain the IQ.

John