4K recording chopping files after 4,19 GB size reached

Hello! Sony A7III - I'm recording internal video in 4K 24fps, and the camera chops video files after they reach the size of 4,19 GB. The recording continues (I guess to the limit of 29mins59secs) but this is new behaviour and I don't recall doing anything to make it happen. I'm on the latest firmware and this happens in both 4K and 1080. Thanks very much for any help.

On 8/6/2019 at 4:35 PM, Olaf W. said:

You are right, sorry!

Thank you kindly both, appreciate it. I wasn't aware that the SD card is formated that way.

And I've learned something new about the FAT.... thanks.

I format the SD card in the camera prior to shooting all the time, so why now only? I believe it's the same card...

I've filmed longer sequences before onto the same card resulting in files larger than 4GB.. 

But anyway, and as Olaf W. wrote "solution..?" I should maybe format the card through my computer (I'm on  a Mac) and then use it in the camera. Then if it doesn't chop the file, I'll know.

But then I could try to format in the camera again and see what happens there.

Edited by Homesick
want to check the option to be notified when someone replies

23 hours ago, Homesick said:

I should maybe format the card through my computer (I'm on  a Mac) and then use it in the camera... But then I could try to format in the camera again and see what happens there.

1) Use DISK UTILITY to format to ExFAT on your Mac.

2) Format card in camera to ensure proper file communication.

3) Enjoy avoiding numerous unsegmented files.

Item ONE sets base file allotment table of the card itself. Item TWO does nothing to change the base FAT, only allows proper operation in the camera. They're completely different types of formatting. If you get into a Chevy it remains a Chevy no matter whether you sit in the drivers seat or passengers seat. Sitting in the back seat will not change it into a Ford.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I never mentioned that the SD cards "in trouble" are MicroSD cards with 64GB Sandisk ExtremePlus V30 XC 1 class3 A1, and I used the Slot1 in the A7III 

I used Disk Utility to format to ExFat, put the card in the camera and formated, put it to record and the files ended up 4,19GB each again. Please see Pic-1 where it shows a screenshot from Finder. Then I checked the card with Disk Utility and it showed "No NAME" and that it was MS-DOS.. See the Pic-2 attached.

My conclusion is that the camera formated the card to MS-DOS for some reason thus chopping files into 4,19GB each.

I took the Micro SD out again and formated it to ExFat in Disk Utility, put it back in the camera. It didn't ask to format the card, only let the camera fix the Database, it took 5-6 seconds. Then I recorded a long video resulting in one big MOV file.

When I use the full sized Sandisk SD Extreme Pro 64GB 170Mb/s XC 1 V30 card, everything is fine. Formated in Disk Utility, the put in camera, formated, and it's not chopping the files at all, see the Pic-3 attached.

The crazy thing is that I have two of these MicroSD cards, completely identical, bought on same occasion . One card is being formated the right way in camera (to exFat) and the other one into MS-DOS. Tested this 3-4 times, always the same card.

Now I know (I marked the card) which shouldn't be formated in the camera and I won't have troubles any more, but it's maybe good to know for others, it's either the card or inconsistent behaviour of the Sony A7III formating sequence. Is it firmware issue or what, I wouldn't know.

Thanks everybody!  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!