A77V kicking focus back to zero during a focus stack.

Intermittently, my A77 is destroying my focus while I'm shooting an image stack.  It's about a 30 minute operation to shoot the stack, and for other projects, longer.

The camera is powered externally.  I've turned off every autofocus I can find, including the selector on the front.

It never happens at the start of the stack, but usually after 80+ images.   Very annoying.

What else would cause the camera to change focus?  It's not refocusing on the subject or anything else, it's running the focus all the way to one end.

Sounds like the camera is entering a power save state.

You can set different time intervals for the camera to switch to power save mode (Power Save). Pressing the shutter button halfway down returns the camera to the shooting mode.

MENU button t 1 t [Power Save] t Select the desired time

Note

• The camera does not turn to power save mode when the camera is connected to a TV or the drive mode is set to [Remote Cdr.].

2 hours ago, dbvanhorn said:

Wouldn't taking pictures every few seconds prevent this?

You didn't provide any details as to how you're taking your image stack. Manually pressing the shutter button at regular and not too big time intervals should indeed prevent this. If you trigger via a remote or app: who knows?

Why don't you try it out?