Thinking about switching to A7M3: The lens question

Camo

Hi,

I have been thinking about switching to a Sony Alpha 7 III for quite some time. As I have come to decision to do it, the inevitable question of lenses is to be discussed. Therefore I am seeking your advice.

My profile:

- (advanced) hobby photographer
- travel
- products (blogger)
- sometimes portraits of my girlfriend

- to be (important):  a bit more tele photography (people in daily situations, shot from afar)

My current setup:

Olympus OM-D E-10 M2
Olympus 14-150mm F4-5.6
Olympus 25mm F1.8

My budget: 4000$ for camera + lenses
As you can see my budget is a bit tight on lenses, so no GM series. If I can snipe a 2nd hand boy, I could invest 2500 on lenses, I think.

Lenses I think are worth considering:

Setup 1:
Sony SEL 24-105 F4 as standard lens (~1000$)
Loawa 15mm F2 for landscapes (~1000$)
Tele?

Setup2:
Sony SEL 24-70 F4 (~750$)
Sony SEL 70-200 F4 (~1200$)
Loawa 15mm F2 (~1000$)

I would really appreciate if you could give me some advice or share your thoughts & experiences. If you think my setups are BS, please tell me so. If you know alternatives, shoot :)

Thanks alot in advance

Camo

Camo, great decision - I have the A7iii and started with the 24-70 but wanted a bit more reach so traded it in against the 24-105mm and have no regrets, it is a superb lens that I use for documentary, landscape, portraits and even some macro as it focuses in close.

I find this to be a superb combination that works really well for a seingle lens system ( I do have other lenses as well as another Sony body).

I have medium sized hands and purchased the "small rig" grip that is superb and adds the extra depth for the fingers as well as offering a arca swiss plate fitting.

Here are some links to images taken with this combo - hope they help show how it performs (these are small JPEG's for web).

http://571photography.blogspot.com/2019/07/weston-super-mare.html

http://571photography.blogspot.com/2019/07/cotswold-show.html

Good luck with your decision and I hope this post helps.

I got the 24-105 f4 last fall and absolutely love it.  I find it particularly good for travel.  Some may say f4 is too slow.  I would disagree.  I set the ISO to auto allowing it to go as high as 6000.  With Sony’s full frame sensors, this is not a problem.  I take the smallest Sony flash when I travel, but rarely use it.  Some think you need a wide aperture to blur the background, but a medium telephoto at f4 (like the Sony 24-105) does a great job.  This shot was taken about 30 minutes after sunset at 51mm f4 1/125 sec and ISO 500:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thank you for your input!

Currently I would go for 24-105 & Loawa 15mm.

Does eye AF work with 3rd party lenses too? I would doubt it.

Considering my wish to get a tele, this setup would pose a problem, since I had the 70-200mm in mind. The 24-105 already covers a good part of the 70-200mm range. Is this negligible? Are there worthy alternatives?

Camo

9 hours ago, Camo said:

Thank you for your input!

Currently I would go for 24-105 & Loawa 15mm.

Does eye AF work with 3rd party lenses too? I would doubt it.

Considering my wish to get a tele, this setup would pose a problem, since I had the 70-200mm in mind. The 24-105 already covers a good part of the 70-200mm range. Is this negligible? Are there worthy alternatives?

Camo

Eye AF works just fine with my tamron lenses. The Laowa is all manual so focus peaking and focus magnify are of great help there.