How much do you use your Sony FE 16-35 2.8 GM if you also own Sony 24-105 4.0 G

For those of you who already own the Sony 24-70 or 24-105 and also own the 16-35, how much use do you get from the 16-35 for still photography?

I love the 24-105 as my main lens for travel photography because I can get most shots without carrying additional lenses.

I’ve never owned a lens wider than 24mm. When I try the 16mm on my camera at the store, I’m wondering if the extra little bit of range is worth carrying another lens plus spending another $2K. Do you get enough use from yours to justify it?

I’m planning a trip to London and Portugal and trying to decide if I’ll add this lens to my kit.

Thanks!

I got the 16-35 f2.8 in Nov 2017 ago replacing the f4 version.  I have used it on several photo workshops.  It is a great lens.  Then I got the 24-105 f4 last fall.  I agree with you that it is so versatile for travel.  If it is used on a full frame Sony, you can set the ISO to auto up to say 6000 and still get some great shots.  You may get a little noise but it is easily correct in post.  The one thing about a super wide lens like the 16-35 is that you can get some really wide shots.  But a great work-around is to turn the camera to the portrait position and overlap a series of photos and get really wide shots.  I used to use a tripod for this but now do it hand-held.  Check YouTube for some videos on the technique.  Then you can stitch the photos together in post.  

I will say the 16-35 is a really high-quality lens.  You will be pleased with the IQ.  Other than the cost of the 16-35, the other negative is the weight.  Not as heavy as the 100-400 but still pretty heavy.

• 3 weeks later...

I own both lenses and it very much depends on what you wish to shoot.  I do a lot of landscape and primarily use the 16-35 f2.8.  When walking around the 24-105 is my primary.  Both are great lenses but have different purposes.

Edited by shogun95

I too have both lenses and agree with shogun95!

The excellent 24-105 is my walk-around/travel lens while I use the 16-35/2.8 almost exclusively for architectural and landscape work. Its sharpness and contrast sets it a cut above. It is also a demanding lens in that you need to move slower and plan your shots, particularly at the wide end where perspective distortion can become a challenge (nature of the beast).

• 1 month later...