Is it possible to remove “film strips” from movie previews?

This might sound like a silly question, but is it possible to view movie previews as a simple (clear) image, instead of the blurry clip with the ugly film strip graphics on top? I’m shooting with an A7II.

I film a lot of painting progress videos and it’s crucial that each shot matches the one before it exactly. With my old Nikon, the movie previews presented as a clear image so I could go back and forth and fine tune my camera position if it got bumped or anything. With my A7II, it’s hard to tell what the video even is, never mind making those kind of adjustments.

Honestly, it’s enough of a concern that I may not be able to shoot with this camera after all. :(

It looks so dorky anyways, haha.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

One of the external monitor/recorders (chime in if you know which model does this as I cannot remember the brand) allows you to capture a frame, save them to the device, then recall the image to overlay in various opacities to realign then repeat the shooting position or perspective.

As one who routinely digs through an app's underpinnings to make adjustments to graphic files, I found none within the framework of the card itself telling me it's embedded in the camera firmware.

For what you're looking to do the only option to avoid the frames (telling you it's a video and not a photo) is to take a pic once you're set up but before you get rolling after which you'll have an establishing photo frame, not masked video frame, to recreate the shooting perspective.

Edited by VTC