ILCE-7RM2 Software update 4.01

Hi there,

I noticed before going on holiday that there was an update to the firmware form my ILCE-7RM2.  I didn't want to update before going away in case I ran into any problems.  This morning I deided to update firmware.  I followed the instructions on the Sony web site.  When I click in the 'Updater' file it fails to start.  I tried several times to no avail.  I'm running a MAC with the latest OS, mac OS Mojave version 10.15.5.  I tried searching the Sony website for a solution, but have drawn a blank.

As I have an old Windows laptop I thought I try the Windows version on the update on that and hey presto!!; it's worked first time.

Can anyone help with the problem I have with the Mac OS version?  The laptop is fine, but a bit frustrating that I can't use the Mac for the updates?

Thanks in advance,

I've solved the problem!

I thought I'd look into the problem a bit deeper.

I had been clicking the 'UpdatSettingTool' as suggested by the Sony Corporation. This is what wasn't working.  In the sae folder as that application is a folder entitled 'Resources' and in there is an application called 'SystemSoftwareUpdater' and upon clicking that the the update process started.

My question is; why on Earth hide the application in the 'Resources' folder and not link it the 'UpdatSettingTool' in the top level of the folder?  Am I the first person to spot this, or are owners not updating their firmware? (Or do they already know from previous experience?)

I had the same problem when I tried to update my lens firmware a few months ago.  I've just gone through the same process with that and whoopee-do...that worked as well.

I shall sleep happy tonight.

11 minutes ago, Glosgas said:

Or do they already know from previous experience?

The latter. Updating on a Mac has always (at least since 2017) been a major PITA. Since I'm also on Apple hardware, I've resorted to doing it from within a Windows7 virtual machine, running inside of VMware Fusion software, with my MacBook as the host.

If you have acces to a Windows system, that would definitely be the easier way to go, as you already found out yourself.

Christie,

That was going to be my next step!

I run a Windows virtual machine for some of the Windows based Astronomy applications I use that I don’t want to re-purchase for the Mac; mainly because the replacement cost. (I did ask a couple of suppliers if I could transfer my Windows licence, but they were none to keen)

Now I’ve updated the camera and lens firmware successfully I’ll be more aware of what to do next time.

Man thanks,

When I tried I found that 'PlayMemories Home' opened and that couldn't see the camera.  I had to remove it from the computer and executed the application called 'SystemSoftwareUpdater' in the 'Resources' folder of the downloaded file.

As for using a USB hub; that didn't cause any issues.

On 7/16/2019 at 6:05 PM, Glosgas said:

I've solved the problem!

I thought I'd look into the problem a bit deeper.

I had been clicking the 'UpdatSettingTool' as suggested by the Sony Corporation. This is what wasn't working.  In the sae folder as that application is a folder entitled 'Resources' and in there is an application called 'SystemSoftwareUpdater' and upon clicking that the the update process started.

My question is; why on Earth hide the application in the 'Resources' folder and not link it the 'UpdatSettingTool' in the top level of the folder?  Am I the first person to spot this, or are owners not updating their firmware? (Or do they already know from previous experience?)

I had the same problem when I tried to update my lens firmware a few months ago.  I've just gone through the same process with that and whoopee-do...that worked as well.

I shall sleep happy tonight.

Exactly. The updater that pops up does nothing but the one hidden lower down does the job.
Out of my many cables, the Bose cable did the job. The pink supermarket cable did not find the camera.

Edited by martti_s

• 5 weeks later...

This is the list of improvements from the Sony web site:

• Added Auto Pwr OFF Temp. function.
    • When using the camera in a high-temperature environment
    • When someone with poor circulation or impaired skin sensation uses the camera
    • When using the camera with the Auto Pwr OFF Temp. function set to High
  • Improved operability of the camera:
    1. Improved operability when AF area is set to flexible spot
    2. Added Live View Display into custom button assignation
    3. Added Set File Name function
  • Supports visible light LED in external flash for AF (HVL-F45RM)
  • Improved release time lag when wireless flash is used
  • Optimised exposure algorithm during focusing when Live View Display has Setting Effect OFF
  • Improved image quality when Long Exposure NR setting is OFF
  • Improved overall stability of the camera
  • Support for Radio-controlled Lighting System
  • Improves stability of the camera while shooting still images by regulating the internal temperature
  • Overall stability and operability of the camera is improved.

I can't say I've noticed any particular change in the way the camera operates.  The one function i'd like to be able to customise is the "APS-C/Super 35mm" to be able to change quickly.  I don't think you can do it yet, or at least I haven't found out how to.  I hope it's in the next update, if there is one.

Edited by Glosgas

• 5 months later...
On 7/16/2019 at 8:10 AM, Glosgas said:

As I have an old Windows laptop I thought I try the Windows version on the update on that and hey presto!!; it's worked first time.

Can anyone help with the problem I have with the Mac OS version?  The laptop is fine, but a bit frustrating that I can't use the Mac for the updates?

• 4 months later...

After updating to the new 4.01 firmware I cant use 4 k video with an aftermarket battery grip. Says incompatible battery. Works fine with just the battery in the camera. Second problems , I cant fine tune either my 50mm 1.8 ff lens or my 28-70mm full frame lens. I updated both to their latest firmwares. Still wont micro adjust. Contacted Sony . No fix and no roll back to previous version. Everything was working fine before the camera update