Are my photos out of focus, or is it just me?

Hi everyone,

I am not a newbie to photography or digital cameras, and I have some experience with DSLR's, but I am new to Sony and mirrorless cameras. I recently purchased an a6000 and I love it, but I don't feel that I am necessarily getting the best images when using the autofocus. I have looked on YouTube and other forums, and although they have been helpful, I'm still unsure whether my shots are out of focus, or if I'm overthinking it and they actually are in focus. Please help and thank you!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...

I see the slight ‘softness’ in the focus that you are concerned by. I too started with the a6000 on moving to Sony mirrorless and had much the same experience as you. Looking back, I am convinced that the issue is actually lens quality rather than just not focussing correctly. I ‘went through’ a number of reportedly better lenses (with varying results) but have settled very happily into the excellent Sony Zeiss 16-70mm f4 OSS lens as my everyday ‘go-to’ lens which delivers photos up to my expectation. If you can hire one to try this might prove (or disprove!) my reply at little cost to you.