Sign in to follow this  
jndfrd

Auto Focus Hunting a7RIII

I've noticed that this is starting to happen more frequent. Last weekend while shooting at a wedding reception, I stopped and focused on two women that were posing for the picture. The eye af locked on one of their eyes, but the focus continued to hunt. The camera was quickly switching from in focus, then slightly out of focus. It would zip rapidly back and forth.  The lighting wasn't the best, but wasn't having issues earlier in the same environment.  This has happened with different lenses, so don't think it's a lens issue.  I ended up taking several shots to be safe, and later found that the focus was off on one of them.  This could be a low light issue, but would think there would be more people posting issues about this. Haven't found much online similar to my issue. Thanks for any help!

I have this sometimes with a7r3 and 55mm f/1.8 zeiss.  It usually is a combination of low light and the aperture number on the high side. Most of the time hunting disappears when you open up the aperture a bit more. (lower the f/number) 

I have the same issue when using a combination of my A7Rii, AF-C, a small aperture ie f/11 and my Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens.  The camera captures focus for a second, then it starts the rapid hunting. No hunting with my other lenses, FE 35mm f/1.8, 24-105mm f/4 G or 100-400mm GM. Neither does the FE 85mm f/1.8 lens hunt when using AF-C and small apertures on my A9. My solution is to use AF-S when I need small apertures with the A7Rii/FE 85mm f/1.8 combination.

Edited by Lorienwood
Spelling & grammatical errors.