Undecided on a6300 vs a6400

Hey guys, apologies if this isn't the place for this post.

Just a quick question, was wanting to get some opinions on this.

Should i get an a6300 with this 18-135mm kit lens or

the a6400 with the 16-50mm kit lens?

Both are around the same price in Australia.

I have a nikon at the moment and I've wanted to switch to sony for some months now. I mainly shoot videos of travel, and do some nature photography, most of my camerawork is done outside.

Thanks guys.

Check this to determine if the advantages of the a6400 vs a6300 are worth it to you:

https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/preview/sony-a6300-vs-a6400-vs-a6500/

What not many comparison sites mention is that the a6500 body and grip are a bit beefier than the a6300/6400. To me the a6500 has much better handling, and I can immagine that if you're coming from a Nikon DSLR the a6300/6400 may feel a bit tiny in the hands. The a6500 wasn't on your lost though so don't want to complicate things more ?

The 18-135 lens is considerably sharper than the 16-50 and has a useful range if you do occasional wildlife stuff. Then again, the a6400 has animal eye AF, though I doubt either of these lenses lens will give a small enough depth of field to see whether focus was on the eye or face... Choices...

I would suggest getting the A6400 because of it's superior auto focus and other features that make it a superb all around camera.  I would save for the 18-135 if you can't stretch to make it now as it is a wonderful general purpose lens.  At some point in time, adding the Sigma 16mm 1.4 gives you a great prime for low light and wide aperture photography.  Those two lenses and the a6400 are about as good as you can get within their price point.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, as Pieter stated, I would recommend you look at the A6500! I have the A6300 myself and I love it however like you I came over from a DSLR and it does take some getting used to with the smaller size. 

For video I've found it extremely difficult to get steady shots and had to resort to buying a gimbal (GAS hits me hard sometimes!). The A6500 has the inbuilt stabilization so may be a better option to go with. 

Whichever one you get will be a great camera and I would strongly recommend getting some older manual prime lenses, with the focus peaking feature you'll be able to nail focus yourself without relying on the autofocus - just my opinion