Sony FE 200–600 mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS coming soon

I pre-ordered the 200-600. I’m not thrilled with the small aperture (6.3) but I want to get into some wildlife photography and this is the best option at the moment.

I may one day get the 400 2.8, along with a 1.4 teleconverter that would give me 560mm at f4... once I win the lottery.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I made the decision to go with the 100-400 mm lens with 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverters. The photos are razor sharp and the lens is much lighter in weight.The photo below was taken at 40 feet handheld at 400 mm with 2x teleconverter. No post processing. Only file size reduction for the internet.

John

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by DrJohn

ISO 4000, interior through a pane of glass

ISO 160, outside through chain link fence (hence weird bokeh)

ISO 400, Outside

840mm (200-600 + 1.4TC) ISO100 1/500s a9

Significant crop

Moon

1/125s ISO-125 f/9 840mm (1.4TC) Hand held

Edited by LiveShots

A couple of new shots from the 200-600

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure B&H, Adorama, and maybe a couple others each received a limited quantity on the original release date and general availability is yet to happen. My pre-order says I'll get it September 12th but it's the 11th and I haven't heard a peep :(

A lucky/speedy few got the first small batch. 

Edited by Creativebush

Received mine yesterday. I got lucky and just happened to contact the store I use asking for a lead time and they said they'd got one in. So I jumped on it.

I've only used it on my a9 so far, and not for very long, but based on that I'm not convinced. I don't know, maybe it's my perception but the images appear soft. But I have to give it a fair go as it could easily be me that's at fault having never shot with a 600mm focal length, so I'm going out again tomorrow for a few hours. I'm also going to try it on the a7iii. Probably take the monopod or tripod too.

What I can tell you is the zoom throw is very short. In my eyes it's perfect. It's also very light, much lighter than my 70-200 GM. Build quality appears to be on par with the GM too.  Balance point (off camera) is about halfway across the zoom ring. But hand holding with the a9/grip/2 batteries feels balanced.  

Took this quick pic of it with my phone (sorry for the lousy quality), I thought the sizing compared to the GM might interest you. Or not, but it's there if you want it. 

Edited by Boomer

1 hour ago, Creativebush said:

I just received an email that my order has been delayed, ughhh. Was supposed to arrive on the 12th.

That happened with the original order I placed. I was gutted so I feel your pain. Rather annoying when you're informed one lousy day before, isn't it.

I've just done some more testing in the garden, shooting my pups, and I'm more than happy with the sharpness of the images. I can only put my previous attempts down to user error. Feeling happier about it now.

Edited by Boomer