Sign in to follow this  
rbtsmpsn

Lenses for Hawaii trip?

My daughter, wife and I are taking a trip to Hawaii. We’ve never been and I really don’t know what lenses to take. We’ll be there 5 days. We plan on beach time and sightseeing. These are the main lenses I usually carry in my bag: Sigma 16mm 1.4,  Sony 35mm 1.8,  Sony 50mm 1.4,  Sony 85mm 1.8,  Sony 18-105 4. I like my 18-105 for video but not so much for stills. I’m definitely open for getting a new zoom for the trip. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

On 6/12/2019 at 9:39 AM, rbtsmpsn said:

My daughter, wife and I are taking a trip to Hawaii. We’ve never been and I really don’t know what lenses to take. We’ll be there 5 days. We plan on beach time and sightseeing. These are the main lenses I usually carry in my bag: Sigma 16mm 1.4,  Sony 35mm 1.8,  Sony 50mm 1.4,  Sony 85mm 1.8,  Sony 18-105 4. I like my 18-105 for video but not so much for stills. I’m definitely open for getting a new zoom for the trip. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

I'm from Hawaii and travel there often with photo gear, from the Sony A6500 to M4/3 to Full Frame gear. IMHO the Sony 16-70 Zeiss has great image quality for it's size and portability and the F4 across the board is great for travel versatility. When traveling, lens swapping can be a hassle so a "do all" high quality zoom let's one focus on capturing the experiences vs hassling with gear.

Sony 16-70 F4 Zeiss on Amazon.com (link)

I found the 18-135 superior to the Sony Zeiss 16-70 (constant f4 nice though); I disliked the power zoom on the 18-105 and the 18-135 is amazingly compact and optically sharp.  I couple 18-135 with Sigma 16mm 1.4 and had no issues taking several thousand images on just completed Europe river cruise.