Lenses for Hawaii trip?

rbtsmpsn

My daughter, wife and I are taking a trip to Hawaii. We’ve never been and I really don’t know what lenses to take. We’ll be there 5 days. We plan on beach time and sightseeing. These are the main lenses I usually carry in my bag: Sigma 16mm 1.4,  Sony 35mm 1.8,  Sony 50mm 1.4,  Sony 85mm 1.8,  Sony 18-105 4. I like my 18-105 for video but not so much for stills. I’m definitely open for getting a new zoom for the trip. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

On 6/12/2019 at 9:39 AM, rbtsmpsn said:

My daughter, wife and I are taking a trip to Hawaii. We’ve never been and I really don’t know what lenses to take. We’ll be there 5 days. We plan on beach time and sightseeing. These are the main lenses I usually carry in my bag: Sigma 16mm 1.4,  Sony 35mm 1.8,  Sony 50mm 1.4,  Sony 85mm 1.8,  Sony 18-105 4. I like my 18-105 for video but not so much for stills. I’m definitely open for getting a new zoom for the trip. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

I'm from Hawaii and travel there often with photo gear, from the Sony A6500 to M4/3 to Full Frame gear. IMHO the Sony 16-70 Zeiss has great image quality for it's size and portability and the F4 across the board is great for travel versatility. When traveling, lens swapping can be a hassle so a "do all" high quality zoom let's one focus on capturing the experiences vs hassling with gear.

Sony 16-70 F4 Zeiss on Amazon.com (link)

I found the 18-135 superior to the Sony Zeiss 16-70 (constant f4 nice though); I disliked the power zoom on the 18-105 and the 18-135 is amazingly compact and optically sharp.  I couple 18-135 with Sigma 16mm 1.4 and had no issues taking several thousand images on just completed Europe river cruise.

• 3 months later...

I'm coming in late to this thread but just want to say the info has been helpful to me.  I've been looking for a travel setup ever since last summer when my Sony RX100-V was destroyed by a leaky water bottle (yes, I learned a painfully expensive lesson, keep water bottles away from cameras).  Rather than replace the RX100-V I've just about decided to go with either the Sony a6400 or a6600.  As per lenses, this is where I've been helped by the thread.  I'm thinking to go with the 18-135 and the 16mm (and maybe the 30mm f1.4).  My fullframe system is a Nikon Df with various lenses.  I think the a6400/a6600 and the Df will be a superb combination.

MH