Using Sony a6500 with Rode VideoMicro

I'm looking for an external mic for my a6500. I actually already bought a Rode VideoMicro just yesterday based on some good reviews but I'm already questioning whether it's what I need.

Basically I'm planning to record some drag racing and I know from experience that these events can be incredibly loud but the problem is that the signal i'm getting from the Rode VideoMicro is very strong, I'm almost able to clip the microphone on the lowest gain level setting in the a6500 menu just by clicking my fingers near it. I'm not sure if I'm missing something in the menu or if I really need to get a more high end microphone with gain attenuation built in so I can reduce the signal at the microphone end. Does anyone here have any experience recording motorsports with Sony Alpha cameras using external mics?

I can't comment on video, because I'm a stills man, but I've recorded audio in the past. I would not like to have that job plugging the mic input straight into a camera, or any simple recording device: I'd want control over those levels before they got near an ADC. I'd want separate sound recording. I'm guessing there's a portable recorder that will do the job. I'm sure there was when I last looked, and that's a while back. 

Or is that making a two-handed job out of something you want to do, on your feet, with one hand?

On 6/10/2019 at 11:17 PM, Thad E Ginathom said:

I can't comment on video, because I'm a stills man, but I've recorded audio in the past. I would not like to have that job plugging the mic input straight into a camera, or any simple recording device: I'd want control over those levels before they got near an ADC. I'd want separate sound recording. I'm guessing there's a portable recorder that will do the job. I'm sure there was when I last looked, and that's a while back. 

Or is that making a two-handed job out of something you want to do, on your feet, with one hand?

I have used separate recorders in the past for projects I worked on at University and I'd agree for getting the best possible quality it's definitely the best way to go but I feel that it would be overcomplicating the process for me in this case, plus I really thing it would be massive overkill to hook a VideoMicro to an ADC, if I were to buy an ADC I'd certainly get a higher end microphone as well.

For right now I'm just interested in getting decent quality for sharing on Facebook or Youtube and I don't really want to be lugging a lot of inconvenient equipment around when I'm just out with my friends.

Out of interest though, what sorts of microphones have you used in the past Thad?

I have also had a chance to test the microphone a bit more at a local car show and I've got to say I am very disappointed with how it handles louder sounds, past a certain threshold the in-built microphone actually does a better job at recording loud engines. The Rode just cuts out with pops and crackles, basically making the recordings useless.

12 hours ago, Master Chris said:

Out of interest though, what sorts of microphones have you used in the past Thad?

Nothing fancy, or even pro. Just the sort of thing you do when making/learning music with a few people: stereo mic into a portable recorder, back in the days of minidisc. Then I messed around with using a small mixer. But I haven't done that stuff for over 15 years now.

I'm quite envious of the portable hand-held stereo recorders, even the basic stuff, that are available at affordable prices now compared to then. I have a Shure SM57 and a Rhode something at the back of a deep cupboard.... that I used to play my own little instrument into, the morsing, which is simply the Indian version of the European jews harp. But that's a different story!