I'm looking for an external mic for my a6500. I actually already bought a Rode VideoMicro just yesterday based on some good reviews but I'm already questioning whether it's what I need.

Basically I'm planning to record some drag racing and I know from experience that these events can be incredibly loud but the problem is that the signal i'm getting from the Rode VideoMicro is very strong, I'm almost able to clip the microphone on the lowest gain level setting in the a6500 menu just by clicking my fingers near it. I'm not sure if I'm missing something in the menu or if I really need to get a more high end microphone with gain attenuation built in so I can reduce the signal at the microphone end. Does anyone here have any experience recording motorsports with Sony Alpha cameras using external mics?

I can't comment on video, because I'm a stills man, but I've recorded audio in the past. I would not like to have that job plugging the mic input straight into a camera, or any simple recording device: I'd want control over those levels before they got near an ADC. I'd want separate sound recording. I'm guessing there's a portable recorder that will do the job. I'm sure there was when I last looked, and that's a while back. 

Or is that making a two-handed job out of something you want to do, on your feet, with one hand?