A good 200mm lens for a7

Hello all. 

Just picked up my a7 today, already loving how it feels in my hands. 

I was curious what longer-range lens anyone may be able to recommend. Preferably under 500$

I currently have the stock a7 28-77mm lens, and this one coming in the mail for wide angle = 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HAF167Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Also I plan on shopping on amazon, if its possible to find the lens there.

Hello all. 

I was curious what longer-range lens anyone may be able to recommend. Preferably under 500$

I currently have the stock a7 28-77mm lens, and this one coming in the mail for wide angle = 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HAF167Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Minolta MD Tele Rokkor 1:4/200

around 50 €/$

I second the Minolta MD 200/4. 

In alternative:

- Leica R 180/4 (around 200€, I guess)

a bit sharper than the Minolta at f4 e f5.6, the Minolta is sharper at f8 and f11. It also focuses much closer than the Minolta (but with the Minolta you could just use an extension ring when needed) and it is warmer

- Contax 180/2.8 (around 300 / 400€)

a bit of CA full open (easy fix in Lightroom or Photoshop), beautiful Zeiss rendering, spectacular for black and white. If possible go for the MM version (f/16 in green lettering), because supposedly Zeiss tricked it a bit the coating and the formula

- Nikon Ai 200/4 (80€?)

quite good, as compact as the Minolta. I dislike only the fact that, like all Nikon lenses, the focus ring turns the "wrong" way compared to almost all other manufacturers

- Olympus Zuiko OM 200/4 or 200/5 (maybe 50 / 80€???)

I've not personally used these two, but I've read good things about them

If you want AF my choice would be a Minolta 200/2.8 with an LA-E4, but you might be looking at spending a bit more than your budget in this case (the adapter alone is 250€)

Addicted 2 light is correct the Contax Zeiss is a fine lens but CA is unbearable in contrasty comps and wide open.   I did some 200mm testing today on some blue jays - Sony's OSS 70-200 didn't fare well.   For that reason, I suggest you get Nikon lenses for when you may one day make the switch.  I used a Nikon Vrii 70-200 manually and with a 1.4 TC for a year on the Sony A7r.  When I switched to the Nikon D810 it was relatively painless. 

Don't think about the cost of buying the right lens, consider the costs of having a bad lens.    I bought a very good 70-200 (missing a foot and bag for $1400) No problem to sell that lens with foot and bag today for $1500 or more if I wanted to.   

So my cost over 1000s of photos is less than $70 maybe - maybe break even.    The Sony OSS when I go to sell it I will lose $400 +.   I should have sold it months ago. 

These show today at 200mm - more detail here -    https://sonyvnikon.wordpress.com/2015/07/04/bloody-hell-sony-a7r-blur-jays/ 

sony-v-nikon.jpg

While I can in no way find those bird pix credible ....

difference is waaaay beyond reasonableness .... I'd

hang with Max on the Nikon lens range regardless,

mainly cuz the old 180/2.8 crops up now and then for

dirt cheap.

As to your switching to Nikon someday, "LOL", but all

the old great Nikkors sell for dirt these days, and a

set of them offers you consistent feel and 3 common

filter size threads [52-62-72].

One thing that keeps prices low on old Nikkors is the

protrusions on their rear ends. These interfere with

mounting them on many mid-to-low end digital Nikon

bodies. But, fortunately for adapter users, adapters

are just empty tubes and do not have the clutter of

devices right behind the front flange, as found in the

digital Nikons that refuse the older lenses.

The CA situation can be unpredictable, but does tend

to occur with many film-era lenses from all brands. For

most real applications, fear of CA is just geekism, but

there are some situations in which you'd rather have a

lens optimized for digital sensors. Do be aware that not

all new lenses in mounts for digital cameras are actually

optimized for digital sensors .... only the premium stuff.

So, for the price, the old Nikkors are a terrific option,

especially as compared to the price of native lenses

in the broad midrange of today's market.

`

I found a Minolta MD 200/2.8 here. So far I'm really happy with it. Pretty sharp wide open and very nice bokeh and rendering. It has some CA issues, but it hasn't bothered me much yet. Very nice for portraits when compression is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second the Minolta MD 200/4. 

In alternative:

- Leica R 180/4 (around 200€, I guess)

a bit sharper than the Minolta at f4 e f5.6, the Minolta is sharper at f8 and f11. It also focuses much closer than the Minolta (but with the Minolta you could just use an extension ring when needed) and it is warmer

- Contax 180/2.8 (around 300 / 400€)

a bit of CA full open (easy fix in Lightroom or Photoshop), beautiful Zeiss rendering, spectacular for black and white. If possible go for the MM version (f/16 in green lettering), because supposedly Zeiss tricked it a bit the coating and the formula

- Nikon Ai 200/4 (80€?)

quite good, as compact as the Minolta. I dislike only the fact that, like all Nikon lenses, the focus ring turns the "wrong" way compared to almost all other manufacturers

- Olympus Zuiko OM 200/4 or 200/5 (maybe 50 / 80€???)

I've not personally used these two, but I've read good things about them

If you want AF my choice would be a Minolta 200/2.8 with an LA-E4, but you might be looking at spending a bit more than your budget in this case (the adapter alone is 250€)

Hi there,

In addition to the above list, the Canon FD 200mm 2.8 is relatively sharp and gives a great picture. Also, for your budget, the Leica Elmarit 180mm 2.8 may be within reach, but I am not sure if added weight justifies the extra stop.

It all depends what you want to use it for, and you haven't told us. I also can't see if you want AF or if manual focus is fine. If you are looking for a travel lens with zoom, so you can quickly zoom in on your kids during the vacation, you will get completely different recommendations. Now everybody just assumes you are looking for a 200mm prime.... 

At 200mm, I think most lenses will be able to render beautiful Bokeh in your pictures, as long as you are relatively close to your subject (somewhere between MFD and 5m) and the subject is sufficient far from the background (think 50m or more), so I would not be nitpicking there.

So, please tell what other camera's you have used before, because you may be able to use previous lenses quite easily as well.

I managed to pick up an Adaptall 2 200/3.5 for about £35. Haven't had a chance to use it in anger yet but it looks like good balance between weight and performance. What are you planning on shooting? If you need af I'd definitely consider the Minolta 200/2.8 APO.

Hello all.

If you want good AF, the A mount Minolta 200/2.8 via the LA-EA4 would be worth checking out. A slightly larger A mount is the Minolta 80-200/2.8. Both lenses are not cheap though.

I vote for Minolta 200mm f/2.8 with LA-EA4 adapter.

It's more expensive but worth every penny, don't forget the AF.

It sells on ebay for about $650-$800 depending on condition + $350 for the adapter.

A bit large but super sharp

I'm going to let you in on my secret stash, probably shouldn't do this. but here you go. ;)

https://www.keh.com/search/list?s=200mm&category[]=Fixed+Focal+Length+Lenses%2C+Non-Mfg+&category[]=Fixed+Focal+Length+Lenses%2C+Mfg

I agree KEH.com has a good selection and reasonable but not great prices.  However, if you sell them a used lens, they only give about 50% of what the lens will sell for on their site.  So selling is better on eBay, although they have issues too.  I bought two Sony FE lenses on eBay and have been very satisfied and saved some money too.

I agree KEH.com has a good selection and reasonable but not great prices.  However, if you sell them a used lens, they only give about 50% of what the lens will sell for on their site.  So selling is better on eBay, although they have issues too.  I bought two Sony FE lenses on eBay and have been very satisfied and saved some money too.

That's the same in the UK - you really do get fleeced if you trade things in at places like Wex and LCE...  Equally their prices on used gear aren't exactly competitive...

• 1 month later...

there is hardly anything better than a APO F2.8 200mm Minolta (see pict below)

and the AF works all right with the LA-EA 4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 1 year later...