shooting video with auto ISO so that ISO doesn't change mid-shot? a6500

Normally I shoot video in manual mode with ISO set to Auto.  So, while recording, the ISO continually adjusts depending on lighting.  Is there a setting somewhere that prevents ISO from changing while actively recording something - and only adjusting again in-between shots?

My use case is such that I want the camera to adjust ISO for exposure, but then lock that in throughout the shot and then re-adjust for the next one.  That way, I don't have to manually select my ISO for each shot, but also have locked in settings throughout the shot that are easier to work with in post.

Apologies if this is an obvious "feature" which I'm unfamiliar with.  I haven't had much luck searching around for similar questions or a feature to fix it.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Edit after re-reading and found I missed something.......

I don't think there is such a feature, but you could have it on Auto, see what it wants to adjust to, then change the ISO to that value before the shot.

Edited by JetFLA

On 5/22/2019 at 11:13 AM, jsharpe1983 said:

Is there a setting somewhere that prevents ISO from changing while actively recording something - and only adjusting again in-between shots?

You may want to experiment with setting ISO Auto range limits (MAX, MIN), as describe here:

Hint

You can change the range of ISO sensitivity that is set automatically in [ISO AUTO] mode. Select [ISO AUTO] and press the right side of the control wheel, and set the desired values for [ISO AUTO Maximum] and [ISO AUTO Minimum]. The values are also applied when shooting in [ISO AUTO] mode under [Multi Frame NR].

That seems like a compromise to me between setting a fixed ISO value in manual mode, and letting ISO "float" within a narrow range.

Yea - I understand what the range feature does and it's not what I'm looking for since the ISO can still fluctuate with lighting changes.

I think this would be a nice feature improvement for Sony - do they have a place where something like this can be submitted?

I'm not sure about submitting the idea, however I don't really understand why you would want that to start with.  If you are in full auto, it will also adjust the aperture and presumably the shutter speed to keep the exposure where it should be.  So let's say we have it find the right ISO and lock it, what about the aperture?  If that changes throughout the shot, it will change the exposure the same as if you changed the ISO.