Sign in to follow this  
smithrog34

Crop lens/crop body

Not sure if I understand your question correctly... It will behave like any other 16-50 lens on an APS-C body. The fact that the lens is designated as 'crop' has nothing to do with the focal length, it just means that the lens' projection is not big enough to cover a fullframe sensor. It's your sensor size that does the cropping, not the lens.

Edited by Pieter
Read in your previous posts that you've used both APS-C cameras and fullframe in the past. Affects my answer to your question.

Again: the focal length is a fixed property of the lens so 16mm will always be 16mm. On an APS-C body like your a6300 however it will produce a similar field of view as a 24mm lens on a fullframe camera. But this has to do with the camera sensor size, not with the lens.

Eg. the (crop) 16-50 lens will produce exactly the same field of view as the (fullframe) 12-24 lens when both are set to 16mm and both mounted on your a6300.

I'm sure you can distill whatever answer you were looking for from my comment.

20 hours ago, smithrog34 said:

Will this 16mm lens be 16mm on the 6300 (crop), or will it be 24mm? Thanks

If you have a fixed idea, based on age and experience, maybe going back to SLR film days, of what a 16mm lens will be like, and what a 24 mm lens will be like, then: Yes.

16mm lens will look like a 24mm lens on the a6300.

Isn't the crop factor actually 1.6? Anyway, being bad at numbers, 1.5 is close enough for me.