Dxo PHOTOLAB

15 hours ago, Stucker said:

Thoughts on DxO PhotoLab vs. Lightroom. I currently have LR6 and don’t want the monthly cost to upgrade my LR, can anyone tell me their thoughts or opinions on DxO PhotoLab? Current users that have switched from LR-is it basically the same/different? What do you like/dislike? 

There’s a lot to this question but I’ll try to distill a bit at least from my perspective and needs. I’m one who strives for best “in camera” shot and although I do love to sit and tinker with post production stuff my best shots are always minimum post fiddling. I’m always uncomfortable with even moderately over processed pics. PhotoLab 2 Elite lens correction is worth its weight in gold (although they haven’t yet addressed my Sigma 20mm prime). It’s all at once subtle and stunning. That alone is worth the price (and it is pricey) of entry. Their noise reduction algorithm is also the best I’ve encountered. Their color correction, both in PhotoLab and in Nix, is a good deal more pleasing than others I am currently or have used in the past. It’s “clear view” module (haze reduction) when used sparingly is also the best, by far, I’ve used. PhotoLab does lack the all encompassing tools that the current Lightroom provides so if a broad umbrella editor is what you’re after PhotoLab may be behind in that area. If however you’re not into making major broad edits I’m really really comfortable recommending PhotoLab. My best photos always look that much better in DxO. I think there is a 30 day trial available.

If however you’re looking for a feature to feature (or almost feature to feature) alternative to Lightroom I do like Luminar 3 a lot. They’ve steadfastly been bringing this software along to the point where I do believe it’s a worthy competitor to Lightroom. It’s more feature rich than PhotoLab and of course is not a subscription based solution.

I do like both Luminar and PhotoLab’s file management/library protocol infinitely better than Lightroom’s. 

Overall for me PhotoLab is my absolute favorite and by miles and miles although and as I mentioned it’s not particularly a cheap solution. Also important to note that for whatever weird reason the DxO Nix collection doesn’t yet run as a plug inside PhotoLab.

Now.....if they could just get my Sigma 20mm lens profile it’d be happy as a piggy in slop :)

Thank you. I was thinking the photolab price wise would be a better decision than a monthly subscription. I edit only a little but have LR6 on one of my mac’s and just didn’t want to be  disappointed when it may not have a feature I’m used to....like going backwards!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, i'm using Dxolab2. It has not all the functionnalities of LR, (no real HDR, some ajustment tools not so powerful or missing, no comparison between 2 pictures,...). But i have better quality with Dxo compared to LR (more details, and less noise). Annoying though that you must pay extra for Filmpack.

For Nik collection (not a dxo plugin as said above), we can still find the free version by google. Maybe not as powerful but can do the job...if you need it.

The assistance is quite good (quick answers).

Main problem for me is it is very slow (especially using Prime function to reduce noise, very good results but very slow, management of pictures is slow too) and the jpg that it generates can be very big.

You can but try the trial version

• 2 weeks later...

yes, it does use a comparison screen !

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 5/28/2019 at 8:33 PM, heyman said:

Hi, i'm using Dxolab2. It has not all the functionnalities of LR, (no real HDR, some ajustment tools not so powerful or missing, no comparison between 2 pictures,...). But i have better quality with Dxo compared to LR (more details, and less noise). Annoying though that you must pay extra for Filmpack.

For Nik collection (not a dxo plugin as said above), we can still find the free version by google. Maybe not as powerful but can do the job...if you need it.

The assistance is quite good (quick answers).

Main problem for me is it is very slow (especially using Prime function to reduce noise, very good results but very slow, management of pictures is slow too) and the jpg that it generates can be very big.

You can but try the trial version

new revision of Nik collection and dxolab makes it possible to export from Dxolab to Nik collection tools