D.R. Smith

Sigma 100-400mm With MC-11 Adapter for A7III

Hi All.  I do a lot of outdoor photography; landscape, nature, wildlife when I can find it.  I recently switched from a Canon 80D to a Sony A7III.  I'm torn between two lenses and was wondering if any of you could help.

First Sigma has a 100-400mm f/5.6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens for Canon EF that can be coupled with the Sigma MC-11 mount converter Canon EF-E.  This seems like a good way to go except everywhere I usually shop says they are on back order and havve no idea when they will get them in.  I did find a refurbished version of this lens that I could buy but I'm hesitant to buy refurbished.

There is also a Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM with the same Sigma MC-11 adapter that I am considering.

I guess I should say that I absolutely cannot affford the native Sony 100-400mm lens. Oh I wish I could.

Do you folks have any recommendations?  I'm not a pro, but In love photography and especially outdoor photography.

Thanks very much for your time

Don't disregard yet!

I too am in about the same situation. I have an a6000 (soon to be an a6400), the kit lenses, a Tamron 18-200 and an old Nikkor 35-70 zoom.

I like wildlife and nature, landscape etc.

Am thinking about the SEL70-300g, the Sigma/MC-11 150-600c and the Sigma/MC-11 100-400.

I'm thinking the 70-300 would have too much overlap with the Tamron and the 150-600 would be so big and heavy I wouldn't use it much.

Does anyone have any experience with the 100-400 as far as the AF and sharpness goes?

Any direction would be appreciated.

Knack

On 5/1/2019 at 9:49 AM, DrJohn said:

I'm selling my Sigma 100-400 with MC-11 and Sigma 150-600 mm with MC-11 and getting the Sony 100-400 with 2x. Both Sigma lens are sharp. However, you cannot use a teleconverter with either of them. I want the 800 mm for imaging the moon.

http://www.drjohnphotography.com/used.htm

John

Sold

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Lymealope
      Basically I need immediate access to video files on the computer as soon as they are shot on the camera.
      I have a video capture card but it is limited to 60 FPS and I haven't found one that goes any higher. Furthermore, I'm believe that the a7iii can't output higher than 60fps via hdmi anyway.
      Anyone know a reasonable way to get videos from camera to computer for immediate accessibility without removing the SD Card or sending via wireless?
      Maybe a tethering utility that allows video transfer? I have Sony remote/edit/viewer bundle but that doesn't allow video transfer.
    • By Ertan
      Hello, I just turned in my camera to service. I was taking photos and some where coming out over exposed when correctly exposing. And over 2000 shutter I could see the curtain or shutter at the corners as shadows or black areas. At 5000 speed and over the photos where completely black sometimes
      So after handing to service they sent me a picture and said out of waranty because I may have caused it. Such as taking a photo while cleaning sensor.
      I haven't even put my figures in to that gap before. And never cleaned the sensor. 
      Here is the photo.
      What may have caused it. 
      I am shocked when I saw it. No one else have used my camera too. I will test my camera before reparing it to see if I still get the same result when taking a photo. This way I will be sure that if the service has caused it...

• By Steve Wil
      What are the best wedding prime lens combination for A7iii, good color and dof
    • By AKKanMan
      Has anyone else updated their iPad to the newest public beta of iPadOS and is having trouble importing photos in the Photo app or viewing photos in the files app. I shoot with an a7iii and connect my SD card using the Apple USB-C to SD card adapter.
    • By drmreda
      Hi
      I have been trying to get Face auto-focus to work on a7III in 4k internally
      I have tried everything possible to make face detection work in 4k but it just doesn’t work
      I turned off proxy and set it to 4k 24 fps with 100mb
      not optical zoom, always connected on mobile page is off
      and yet it always turns off and if I try switching it on again it doesn’t allow me
      and I tried it on airplane mode
      it shows me that it doesn’t work in 4k
      as the image shows in the attachements
      however I have seen multiple persons online with it working flawlessly
      anyone knows an answer to that?
      thank you