A7R3 eye AF help with new 3.0 firmware

Hello all,

New to the forum. Recently updated to the 3.0 firmware for my R3. I prefer my eye AF assigned to the AEL button rather than the half press shutter that’s included in the new firmware. Trying to figure out in the settings how to only have the eye AF with AEL button, but still continue to have regular AF during half press of the shutter. I can’t seem to figure out which settings to change. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Go to page 6/14 camera tab 1 and choose face/eye AF set

Turn face/eye prty in Af to Off

Subject Detection   Human

Use your custom button assigned to EF as usual.  I  prefer assigning that function to the focus hold button on the barrel of the lens (if it is on the lens in use).

Edited by tinplater
addition

1 hour ago, tinplater said:

Go to page 6/14 camera tab 1 and choose face/eye AF set

Turn face/eye prty in Af to Off

Subject Detection   Human

Use your custom button assigned to EF as usual.  I  prefer assigning that function to the focus hold button on the barrel of the lens (if it is on the lens in use).

Thanks. I was able to turn off eye AF on the half shutter press based on your instruction. I noticed that face priority AF is also off now (green focus box around face when a face is detected). Is there a way to turn that back on for half shutter press or is it connected to eye AF priority?

Basically, before the firmware update I had my R3 set up where on a half shutter press, it was face AF (green focus box around persons face). When I wanted eye AF, I pressed my AEL button which I assigned to eye AF. Is it possible to set it up this way again?

Just out of pure curiosity, why would you want face AF without Eye-AF?

I have an a6500 where I have face detect off by default to prevent the camera from locking on to faces when I don't want it to. Eye-AF is under the AEL-button. By pressing it, face detect is also engaged automatically. I like this setup due to its flexibility but can't really think of a situation where I'd want face detect without Eye-AF (or care about it if my camera chose to lock on to an eye anyway during face detect)...

Hence my honest question. In the very rare occasion that I want to focus on something else than ones eyes when photographing a face, I'd likely use single spot AF of MF even. Eye-AF is just a more advanced version of face AF and can't work without face AF being active simultaneously.

To be honest...I just got used to face AF detection with half presses shutter, and eye AF assigned to the AEL button lol. 

Sometimes change is hard lol. With the firmware update, it feels weird seeing the eye AF kick in with a half press. I actually turned it back on and am trying to get used to it.