TC + 90mm f/2.8 G Macro via extension tube

Hi, 

On Facebook I saw that someone used both tele-converters (1.4x and 2x) together with 400mm f / 2.8 via Kenko extension tube 16mm. Extension tube served as a bonding device between teleconverters. So he had on body TC 1.4x + Ext. Tube 16mm + TC 2x + 400mm f/2.8. AF worked and there was no significant drop in image quality. So he had 1120mm lens.

I wonder if a combination of TC with extension tube and a 90mm f / 2.8 G OSS lens would work similarly. What do you think?
Can anyone try it and let me know?

Edited by SAF Admin
Please don't post images you don't have the copyright. Thanks

• 1 year later...

I tried Kenko extension tube 16mm with Sony 1.4TC and Sony 90mm macro on a A7 III. It did not work. First I had to cut a small plastic edge from the flange of the tube because it sticks out the tube from the back and prevent from attaching the tube on the TC. Once that's done it fits. But the camera won't take a picture with TC + tube + lens. It does take pictures without the lens mounted. From the moment I attach the lens it doesn't take the picture. I also noticed that I have a better magnification without the TC. I can see the image on screen, just don't take the picture. With10+16mm tubes and Raynox dc-250 you can fill the frame of an A7 III with a subject as small as 12 x 8 mm

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2020 at 8:13 AM, Erwin Cloostermans said:

I tried Kenko extension tube 16mm with Sony 1.4TC and Sony 90mm macro on a A7 III. It did not work. First I had to cut a small plastic edge from the flange of the tube because it sticks out the tube from the back and prevent from attaching the tube on the TC. Once that's done it fits. But the camera won't take a picture with TC + tube + lens. It does take pictures without the lens mounted. From the moment I attach the lens it doesn't take the picture. I also noticed that I have a better magnification without the TC. I can see the image on screen, just don't take the picture. With10+16mm tubes and Raynox dc-250 you can fill the frame of an A7 III with a subject as small as 12 x 8 mm

Because it's probably worried the shutter would close on the lens.  It needs to know that there is clearance.  Can you at least do video?