Firmware update problems for A7Rm3

The system security problem did not occur.  I assume this is because I have previously used the MacBook to update Sony firmware.  

The System Software updater would not automatically start as I expected.  I also found it in the resources folder.  However, when I followed the instructions, I got a notice that the update was not available for my model.  It is like the app thinks I'm trying to update an A7m3 firmware on a A7Rm3.  WTF?

I still say Sony does a shitty job designing these updates.  When Apple does an update, it is always seamless and easy.  Never a problem.  I guess I have become spoiled.  I expect plug and play solutions.

On 4/11/2019 at 4:36 AM, steve of stonehenge said:

I just attempted the update using a MacBook Pro.  It didn’t work.  I dread every firmware update.  I have never had one go smoothly.

Is anyone else having a problem?

It took me four tries...I kept getting play memories import opening!  Then I finally opened the "resources" folder and there is the update program you need to use.  One try there and success.  Why Sony hides the app inside that folder is hard to understand.

3 hours ago, steve of stonehenge said:

However, when I followed the instructions, I got a notice that the update was not available for my model.  It is like the app thinks I'm trying to update an A7m3 firmware on a A7Rm3.

Probably a stupid question; but did you download the right file? Both cameras got a firmware upgrade but the downloads are on different pages. 

Anything is possible when it comes to me and tech.  I deleted the downloads and then redownloaded.  The key to success in my case was to open the resource folder and use that app, not the one that is not in a folder, just there as an ap with a goofy looking logo as I recall.

I just got the firmware update to 3.0 to work correctly.  Some of the steps were not the same in my Mac as listed on the Sony instructions.  What I did this time that was different is on the step that says:  "Connect the device to the computer with the USB cable."  Previously, I turned on the camera at this step.  So this time I did not turn on until I got to the "Updater" screen.  Step one is turn on the camera.  The "Updater" did not load automatically, but it is located in the Resources folder.

I still feel this was way too complex.