Hi Everyone,  thanks in advance for your help. I have this amazing A7iii with eye af in photo mode but I’m missing something. Watching all the different videos showing all the amazing features that focus on eye af seem to show that there is eye af in video mode, but unless I’m in p, a, s, or m there isn’t a way to use eye af in video. The other question is do I have to continually have to hold whatever button is assigned (center) or is there a way to toggle eye af. Currently the only way to hold focus is using face detection unless I hold the center button or whatever the button is assigned to for eye af. Great abilities, but frustrated with this. I can’t see holding a button to focus on an eye while the camera is on a gimbal. 

Thanks again for all your help. 

Robert

Hi LiveShots,

Thanks for letting me know. I actually just updated my camera and new functionality, Face/Eye AF Set. I'm testing it on a 28-75mm Tamron F2.8 and a Sony 85mm F1.8. So at first, the way I interpret "Real Time Eye AF" is that it is constantly focused on the eye without actually pressing anything, so if the model turns away and back, it would automatically re-acquire the eye, but that only happens if you half press the shutter button or press the AF-ON button. So not how I thought it would work, it's still better than assigning a button.

Maybe someone can explain why you only get face detection and not Eye-AF in video mode? If you're doing video interviews, wouldn't that be important?

Thanks,

Robert

I wonder if in video mode you might be more aware of focus changes as the camera hunts for the small eye target, where a face being larger might result in less focus hunting?  Also in video generally your subject is viewed in much less detail as opposed to still photography where you may zoom in and pixel peak just to check focus.  In a talking head video, for example, I don't think one would notice the difference between focus obtained on the eye versus focus on the face.  Just a few thoughts, not based upon fact or knowledge.  (typical for me)

Edited by tinplater
addition

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By D.R. Smith
      Hi All.  I do a lot of outdoor photography; landscape, nature, wildlife when I can find it.  I recently switched from a Canon 80D to a Sony A7III.  I'm torn between two lenses and was wondering if any of you could help.
      First Sigma has a 100-400mm f/5.6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens for Canon EF that can be coupled with the Sigma MC-11 mount converter Canon EF-E.  This seems like a good way to go except everywhere I usually shop says they are on back order and havve no idea when they will get them in.  I did find a refurbished version of this lens that I could buy but I'm hesitant to buy refurbished.
      There is also a Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM with the same Sigma MC-11 adapter that I am considering.
      I guess I should say that I absolutely cannot affford the native Sony 100-400mm lens. Oh I wish I could.
      Do you folks have any recommendations?  I'm not a pro, but In love photography and especially outdoor photography.
      Thanks very much for your time

• By elgopro
      Took this last summer in SOHO, New York. 
      Sony A7III
      Tamron 28-75mm
      75mm
      f2.8
      1/320
      ISO 200
      https://www.instagram.com/elgopro/ 

• By Rogue_odyssey
      Sony A7iii 24-105mm F/4

• By ItchieFinger
      Ok here goes,
      My kit isn’t great although I’m not a professional either.
      Camera - A7
      Lens - 55mm prime and 24-105mm G also the paper weight 28-70mm that ships with A7 bundle.
      The plan is to pick up a A7iii and a 100-400mm and add it to my pack. - I hate changing lens’s I’m a dust magnet.
      Not interested in video overly. Drone is pretty good with that I guess.
      Im heading away to the far reaches of North Western Australia and think that my current setup will be too short and not really keen on getting up close and personal.
      Questions I have are.
      1. What should I buy first A7iii or 100-400mm
      2. Should I ditch the A7 or leave it as redundancy/spare with the 55mm mounted semi permanently as it gives a great pic.
      3. Is my lens 24-105mm a waste on the older A7
      4. Is the A7iii my answer?
      5. What are the cons with what I have and will there be a noticeable difference with the A7iii?
      Look forward to your help
    • By jonas
      Hi all

I'm curious about your experience regarding bluetooth connectivity on the Sony A7 III.

The reason why I'm asking is that when I lent a Fujifilm X-T3 it would always instantly connect to my phone and start to geotag my photos. I don't think the app was running in the foreground even.

But with my A7 III I need to start the app, sometime force-quit it, turn on the camera and start the app again. The sequence is very important because if I open the app before I turn on my camera it won't work. This is very annoying because I like to geo-tag my photos all the time, but this is such a hassle that I don't.

I would like it to work as fluent as fujis system.

I've deleted and reinstalled the app I've removed the connection between my phone and Sony A7III and reconnected I've reset the connection on my camera
      Phone: iPhone Xs Max and iPhone 7
      Camera: Sony A7III

What is your experience? Should I get my camera serviced?