Coming 500.. f/4 and 600mm f/4 (but when)?

Hopefully, when released these will be easier to get then the 400mm f/2.8 GM. 

Not likely to be announced during the 2019 NABShow although, SONY is making an announcement today at 2:oo pm PST

From Alpha Rumors

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-sony-patent-discloses-500-f-4-and-600-f-4-e-mount-lens-design/

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Satman,

You said "Hopefully, when released these will be easier to get then the 400mm f/2.8 GM.  "

What did you mean? More affordable?. Plentiful(not scarce)?

I have been saving my pennies for months waiting for a fully compatible long reach lens for my a6500. 

Exactly “not scarce”. Have you tried to find the 400 2.8?  Damn shame that you see all these YouTuber’s demo’ing the lens and describing how great it is but can find one within the US. 

I’m figuring the 500 f/4 should be priced around 8.5 to 10k. Thoughts?

I sure hope NOT...  I can go to B&H or Adorama right now and find the 400mm f/2.8 "In Stock".  There is a thread here with sample pics of someone that ordered Sony's 400 back in Jan 2019 and received it in early March I believe.  They also said about 10 weeks but got it around 8... the Lens looks sooooo sweet in it's case! 

Maybe things are changing now and they are starting to stock them in some places. Mine also took about 10 weeks. It’s a bit scary if something happens to the lens too as you can’t easily get a replacement. They don’t even seem to have them in the Pro Support loaner pool.

• 4 weeks later...

So apparently it turns out that I’m wrong and Sony Pro Support does have the 400/2.8 in the loaner pool. 

I sometimes shoot next to people with 500/4s and I personally think 400/2.8 is the way to go with the options to use the teleconverters but it depends on what you do. For me, the extra stop of light gathering, not to mention the shallower depth of field, is invaluable.