Sony a7iii Firmware Update

Hy everybody,

last week i faced some issues regarding SD Card support of the sony a7 iii. There seems to be a bug with some models of the Sandisk Extreme 128GB SDXC Memory Card
Browsing the web, i found out that a Firmware Upgrade may fix this issue.

My question which could not be answered by my research:

1) Will my settings on the camera still be there after the Firmware Upgrade? Or is there any chance to save it somehow?
2) I never did a Firmware Upgrade. But i am afraid that it will fail or maybe the camera get some new unknown bugs...
Does anybody know if Sony Firmware Updates are risky and you should avoid it? Or it is recommended because of some improvements you gain by doing an upgrade?

Any firmware update has risks, mainly if the update is interrupted midway. Most important thing to remember is to use a fully charged battery (or near full charge).

I've done two firmware updates on my Sony A7RIII without problem. All settings were retained. One of the updates addressed the memory card issue you mentioned.

I always update to the latest firmware, just to see what is new. 

Check the release notes to see if you think it is worth the update in your case, then follow the instructions. From memory, you need to remove your memory cards prior to updating. Also, I think you need to connect the camera to a PC to do the update. I use a notebook with a charged battery. Once the update starts, do not move or even touch the camera, computer or connecting cable.

Hope that helps...

Edited by pmk
fix typo