a6400 video focus tracking question

" Just picked up the a6400 with the 18-135 lens and the E50mm1.8 lens. I'm really enjoying this camera so far.

I'm hoping someone can help me with a question/problem. In "movie" mode, I have been trying to active "touch to track" autofocus.

When I attempt to activate via the menu (Custom Operation2, 9/9, "Func of Touch Operation") I get the error: "This operation or setting not available as follows File Format XAVC S 4K"

Any 4k mode/bit rate generates the same message. Since it does work in 1080 video mode, it seems the function is not available for 4k video. The manual (online help guide p138 - Touch Tracking section) doesn't indicate any limitation in regards to 4k shooting. It only states that touch tracking does not work "When shooting movies with [   Record Setting] set to [120p]/[100p]. 

Is touch tracking possible in 4k? If so, how?

If not, what focus tracking options are available in 4k mode?

A follow-up to my own question, in the event someone else has the same issue.

Touch track DOES work in 4k mode. 

Not sure why I couldn't get it to go. A Sony rep helped me out - ended up resetting the camera to default settings, enabled the necessary menu items and it now works. It may have been a related setting or just s glitch. Either way, it is working now.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
On 11/6/2019 at 1:11 AM, omri said:

I have reset everything and also turned off proxy function.... still doesn't work in 4K...help...

That's odd. I can confirm touch tracking is working in 4k.

Make sure you completely reset your unit. I don't know if there's a "soft" reset vs a full "factory" reset. Just make sure you fully reset everything.

Which firmware are you on? There was an update since the original release. Maybe you could try to install/re-install the latest firmware version.

If that doesn't work, I would reach out to Sony directly. Their support people might be able to help.

• 2 weeks later...

On 11/6/2019 at 1:11 AM, omri said:

I have reset everything and also turned off proxy function.... still doesn't work in 4K...help...

Just realized something else...

Do you have a monitor connected to the HDMI output? That will also disable touch tracking mode. (Spot focus will still work on the camera touchscreen, even though no image will display there while recording).