Sony A7 iii EVF Good Bad or Ok

Cat99

I currently own an older Nikon D7100 and Sony RX10 iv and RX100 v. I’ve heard so many great things about the A7 iii that I was very keen to buy one.

The first one I picked up in store exhibited some odd behaviour through the EVF but I put that down to the lighting in the store. I purchased mine, picked it up, took it home and attached a brand new Tamron 28-75. I pointed it at the chamferboard house across the road in AF-C mode, half pressed and the horizontal boards appeared jagged. The trees also looked shimmery. Lots of things looked not as I would expect. I’d been looking through the viewfinder of two Sony RX series for the last few years and never ever thought about the EVF being electronic. Seriously.

Putting the camera in AFS mode improved things considerably and was I think ok. 

i returned the camera and the staff tried a lot of things including resetting and adjusting the screen quality. We tried some GM lenses to no avail. 

I returned the camera and after three weeks received a refund.

Undeterred the following week went to another store and tried an A7R iii and a Nikon Z6. Both EVFs looked fine. 

I decided to have another go and went to another store with my credit card. I thought I’d better check the A7 iii in store by pointing at some buildings and seats outside. Lo and behold. Moire and the seat shimmered in AF-C mode. I decided not to proceed with purchase.

Help. Am I doing something wrong? I am beginning to think I’m the only person in the world who finds the A7 iii EVF frustratingly poor. I don’t want to spend $$$$ more for the A7R just get a usuable EVF. I’ve read hundreds of words on the differences between the EVFs and understand that the A7 iii is a lower resolution and quality than the others. 

Any polite suggestions would be appreciated.