Can I use this brush on my sensor?

eriksen

I have tried with the automatic cleaning and blowing, but there are still dust on my sensor. Before I buy the expensive Arctic butterfly, can I try to remove the dust with this brush without damaging the sensor? Or what about using a swab with liquid directly. Can I do that and be sure that I don´t scratch the sensor with the dust on the surface?

That depends - would you rather pay for an expensive brush, or an expensive sensor?

I used one of those brushes on an old Nikon D100 and totally screwed the sensor.

My advice is send the camera off for a professional clean - that way if it gets messed up, you can claim it via their warranty.

I have used one of the wet swab systems for years, multiple times, without an issue and with complete resolution of the sensor dust that resisted blowing.  I figure it has saved me perhaps 300 to 400 dollars versus having the camera shop clean it.  Just work slowly and carefully.  It is a snap to do.Check out some youtube videos.

• 4 weeks later...

Get a new mink hair blush brush. That one is too coarse for the sensor. Place the camera in cleaning mode. Sensor is locked stable at end so don't turn off camera until you've completed sensor cleaning.

There are times when the rocket blower wouldn't displace the dust and only a wet cleaning with swab would. Got the ever-so-delicate blush brush and haven't needed to wet clean since.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by VTC

You CAN use it but I would strongly advise not to. I would not use ANY brush on a sensor, not specifically designed for the job. The Visible Dust brushes have hairs that are especially tapered at the ends so that they develop a static charge when air is blown over them before use. In this way, the dust on your sensor is pulled off by the brush. I would not use a gel stick either. I have heard horror stories of residue from the stick adhering to Sony sensors (in this forum). Considering the cost of a replacement sensor, using a cheap brush not designed for the job of cleaning a camera sensor is a false economy.

Edited by chardinej