zalle

Battery goes out at 50%

Hi guys,

I'm using my A7ii, and when the battery gets to about 50% the drained battery symbol comes up. After a bit it turns off. I take the battery, put it in again, and it shows 40%. After a minute, the symbol comes up again and it shuts off 3 or 4 minutes later.

I take the battery again, put it back and it shows 35%, then symbol, then turns off.

I have more batteries, and it's always the same. What can it be?

Thanks

Older lithium batteries used to take a “set” or memory if they were always recharged when only partially drained. Not heard of this happening with modern batteries though. Sony does have a warning about fake Sony batteries.

Could you take one of the batteries to a local store and ask to try it in a different camera? That would tell you if it was a battery vs camera problem.

I have a couple NEX cameras, a 7 and a 5, that's where I got my other batteries from.

So basically you are saying they are uncalibrated, right? Is there a way to calibrate them?

4 hours ago, LiveShots said:

Older lithium batteries used to take a “set” or memory if they were always recharged when only partially drained. Not heard of this happening with modern batteries though. Sony does have a warning about fake Sony batteries.

Negative. The so-called "memory effect" only occurs in NiCd or NiMH batteries, not in Li-Ion type batteries like those used in the Sony.

Sorry, zalle. Since there is an infinite amount of effects which might play a role here, I'm unable to positively select the one which is to blame.

It's far easier, to recognize the ones which do/can not contribute. That process is called "elimination". If you can eliminate enough different effects, eventually you'll end up with the only remaining one which  is  to blame. I'm aware, that this probably is a highly unsatisfactory answer, but again: sorry I can't do any better.

On a related note: actually I never ran the batteries on my a9 down to 50% or lower. I always put them in the charger before that mark. I'm gonna give that a try from now on ...

Well, thanks for your answer. I will do that. Try all batteries on two different cameras, but it will take me a while...

I use these for video and I'm using power banks to power them, but having batteries is always nice :)

Ok, so I have updated information. I charged them all to 100%, and used them until they were empty.I then took the battery off, put it back again and saw the % remaining on each one.

I have 5 batteries. 3 of them went out at around 35%, one at 19% and the A7 one at 14%.

The A7 one is newer, but it is weaker (it is also lighter). The NEX ones are 1080maH and the A7 one is 1020maH.

They all lasted from around 50min to 1h10min recording video.

It looks like the batteries are half dead... What do you think?

IMG_20190223_203628 copy.jpg

Looks like some are much worse than others. Are you using a Sony charger or a 3rd party one, I’m wondering if maybe the charger is not working right. I think the only way to be certain that it’s not a camera problem is to buy a new battery from a reputable source.

50+ minutes of video not bad for a W battery.

On 2/23/2019 at 10:17 PM, zalle said:

Well, all the batteries are original and charger is original. The worse ones could be older... The A7 one is definitely newer.

One of my three batteries started doing this, original Sony, original charger ... old battery ... sent it to be recycled.

They don't last forever.