oneeye

FE 24-70 F4 v. FE 24-105 F4 lens?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I used to have a great Cannon FD zoom lens: 24-105.  I thought this range was perfect for a basic zoom lens.  When I bought my A7II, I also got the FE 24-70 F4  ZA OSS (Zeiss) lens along with the FE 70-300 G.  Now that Sony has the new FE 24-105 F4 G OSS, I was wondering if anyone had some thoughts on which is a better one? (excluding the benefit of 70-105 magnification.)  I have read good and fair reviews on each and if the 24-105 is superior would it be worth selling my 24-70 on eBay and getting the 24-105?

I also came from the Canon world and had the 5D MKII paired with the 24 105 which was great 10 years ago. Since that time a lot of improvements have been done and recent lenses are better. When I joined Sony, there was very little choice in term of lenses :  I got the 24-70 Zeiss and the 55 f1.8. When the 55 was (and is still) impressive, the 24-70 was not at all. It was too soft at all focal lengths, 24 and 70 being really not good.  I sold it back. I recently bought the 24-105 G as a Christmas gift for ma daughter and tested it : it is far better than the Zeiss 24-70. In terms of IQ, it is not far from the GM zooms (I own several), and the sharpness at 70 and 105 still remain quite good, which is a real performance. All what you have read in the reviews is true. It's not a perfect lens of course and distorsion is big at 24, but it can be easily corrected in post.

So, in my opinion, you should not hesitate to swap !

I agree whole heartedly with PHDX. While I have no personal experience with the Zeiss 24-70 I am very pleased with the 24-105 on my a7rIII, both my first Sony products after years with Nikon. The 24-105 focuses quietly with a speed and accuracy that belies it being a zoom lens. Build quality is not quite as solid or smooth as my GM lenses but at 1/2 the price who would complain? My favorite walk-around and travel lens.