Sign in to follow this  
2xbass

Sony wins for wildlife for me

I moved to Sony a little while ago and I'm definitely convinced that it's a great system. Currently I use the A7RIII and A9 and the 100-400 and 70-200 f2.8 and the 1.4 and 2.0 teleconverters in various combinations although I'll soon be replacing the 100-400 with the 400 f2.8 in my typical kit.

I am often shooting alongside other photographers using other systems and while they are typically lugging heavier or slower gear I can be more nimble and travel a heck of a lot easier and sometimes even get shots they miss because they are dealing with so much heavy stuff with longer setup, having to use the tripod when I can handhold, etc. Especially when I'm using the A9, based on shutter sounds I hear around me and then comparing the images, that when some important action happens, I can often be one of the first to start capturing the action and have a higher chance to get the perfect moment with a faster burst rate.

All images in the first seven albums on this page: https://photos.creativityatscale.com/wildlife were all captured using some combination of the gear I described above.

Beautiful images. I'm mostly a sports guy but I'm hoping to get into some wildlife photography.

I'm holding out for a 500mm or 600mm lens from Sony, the 400 F2.8 would be nice but outside my comfort zone on price.

I’m mostly a wildlife guy hoping to get into some sports photography :)

There are rumours of 500 or 600 e-mount lenses but who knows when. The 400 f2.8 is by all accounts fantastic. I have one on order and if it works out I may sell a bunch of other stuff (including possibly my 100-400) to make up for it.

Edited by 2xbass