Sunrise "bland"

mak009

Hi,

Newbie here (I did a search before posting).

I frequently shoot sunrise on my new A7 using AP, ISO100 Exp Comp=0 in RAW.

The results are disappointing and look "washed out" lacking the vivid hues of the actual event. My Nikon APS D3400 does a far better job.

Is this a case of not making White Balance adjustments? The images certainly show some clipping in Lightroom but I can't seem to recover the dramatic color tones.

Any guidance much appreciated

Mak009

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by mak009
Notification

• 2 weeks later...

First, I'd look at your Picture Profile (PP) or Creative Style and make sure its not on "Neutral". In every Creative Style there is sharpness, contrast and saturation levels.

1. Make sure the saturation levels are not too low and if it is at 0, you can up the saturation for more color straight out of camera. Lowering the contrast in the Creative Style can give it more Dynamic Range for a picture like this. 

2. Exposure looks okay but I'd stop it down a bit more preserve detail in the sky.

3. Play arounD with the different Creative Styles to find one that suits your liking. There are a handful of them (Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Deep, etc...)

If that doesn't change anything, it is most likely the difference in color science between Nikon and Sony. That just means different editing tactics in Lightroom then.

Hope this helps!

Set DRO to 5.  Use Autumn Leaves or Deep Creative Style if available, and increase the saturation and contrast to your liking.  I find that using the WB presets Daylight, Cloudy, and Shade, in the proper lighting, look fine for JPG.  As it is now, WB looks OK.  Might be a bit cool if you want to keep blue out of the shadows, but that's generally what it should look like in real life. 

Note that if you shot RAW, you'd have waaaaaaaaaaay more detail in the entire image, and you'd have a ton of flexibility to shape the image to however you want. 

Edited by BlueBomberTurbo

13 hours ago, BlueBomberTurbo said:

Set DRO to 5.  Use Autumn Leaves or Deep Creative Style if available, and increase the saturation and contrast to your liking.  I find that using the WB presets Daylight, Cloudy, and Shade, in the proper lighting, look fine for JPG.  As it is now, WB looks OK.  Might be a bit cool if you want to keep blue out of the shadows, but that's generally what it should look like in real life. 

Note that if you shot RAW, you'd have waaaaaaaaaaay more detail in the entire image, and you'd have a ton of flexibility to shape the image to however you want. 

Absolutely correct about the use of RAW, though I would add that a little underexposure is recommended to avoid blowing out the highlights! Hard won personal experience.